ISSUE Project Room on Sun, 14 Mar 2010 20:23:29 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> ISSUE'S FIRST PUBLIC CONCERT @ 110 LIVINGSTON - Morton Feldman's Second String Quartet Performed by Ne(x)tworks

.
If you're having trouble viewing this email, you may see it online.
Forward this message to a friend

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ISSUE PROJECT ROOM ANNOUNCES ITS
FIRST PUBLIC CONCERT @ 110 LIVINGSTON

Pre-Renovation Candlelit Performance
of Morton Feldman's Second String Quartet by Ne(x)tworks

March 12, 2010 – Brooklyn, NY – On Sunday, April 11 the public will have a chance to attend a rare performance of Morton Feldman’s String Quartet No. 2 in its entirety when ISSUE Project Room opens its doors at 110 Livingston St. for a pre-renovation, inaugural Open House event. Performed by Ne(x)tworks, the six hour-long contemporary masterpiece will be free to the public, commemorating ISSUE’s first concert in their future Downtown Brooklyn home.

String Quartet No. 2 has been performed in its entirety only a few times, the first being in 1999 by the FLUX Quartet at Greenwich Village’s Cooper Union. The Ne(x)tworks quartet (which includes Cornelius Dufallo and Kenji Bunch, formerly of FLUX) will play the entire piece by candlelight in the cloistered hall while audience members are invited to stay for as long as little as they like. The beauty of candlelight is also a necessity as the space is still raw and has limited lighting.

“Ne(x)tworks is thrilled to present Feldman's masterful Second String Quartet at ISSUE Project Room as our artistic endorsement of their fabulous new concert venue [at 110 Livingston],” says Ne(x)tworks’ Director, Cornelius Dufallo. “The musical community of New York City has been eagerly awaiting the opening of this performance space.”

“Exposing experimental music to larger and more diverse audiences was an important mission of our late Founder and Artistic Director, Suzanne Fiol,” says Steve Wax, ISSUE Project Room’s Board Chair. “This rare performance at our future home will provide a glimpse into the unique, thrilling and superior programming that ISSUE will continue to share with its audience and the community for years to come.“

Called his “most extreme” composition, Feldman’s String Quartet No. 2 (1983) is a collective paragon encompassing Feldman’s signature free rhythms, muted pitches, quiet and slowly unfolding music, and his experiments with duration.

“The focus at the time [of the premiere in 1999] seemed to be on how we were going to play for six hours without stopping,” Dufallo reflects. “As we immersed ourselves in the music, however, this began to change: we found that duration is by no means the most interesting aspect of this work. The ‘athleticism’ became more of a secondary concern to us. In this work, duration acts as a canvas, on which Feldman paints a stunningly beautiful encomium to the eternal marriage of sound and time. The piece must exist on a large scale in order to portray this relationship.”

In 2008 ISSUE Project Room won the bid for a 20-year, rent-free lease to occupy the landmark theatre at 110 Livingston St., an architecturally significant (McKim, Mead & White, 1926) and stunningly beautiful 4800 square foot performance space located in the former New York City Dept. of Education headquarters in Downtown Brooklyn. Once renovated, this space will offer opportunities to increase ISSUE’s audience, implement new programs and advance Brooklyn’s place as a cultural epicenter.

While this is an extraordinary opportunity, it is also an enormous challenge. ISSUE must still raise well over half a million dollars towards the $2.5 M needed for basic renovations. We hope that the community will join ISSUE on this amazing journey toward building a world-class center for experimental culture.

ISSUE Project Room’s Inaugural Concert @ 110 Livingston
Ne(x)tworks Performs Morton Feldman’s String Quartet No. 2

April 11, 2010
FREE
Reception: 11 am
Performance: 11:30 am – 5:30 pm
110 Livingston St. (Entrance on Boerum Place)
Brooklyn, NY  11201

ABOUT ISSUE PROJECT ROOM
ISSUE Project Room, a registered 501(c)(3) organization, was established in 2003 by visionary artist Suzanne Fiol, and is a vibrant nexus for cutting-edge, multi-disciplinary arts in Brooklyn. ISSUE supports emerging and established experimental artists through more than 200 programs each year including music concerts, literary readings, films, videos, dance, visual and sound art, new media, critical theory lectures and discussions, site-specific work, commissions, educational workshops, master classes, and genre-defying interdisciplinary performances that challenge and expand conventional practices in art.

Support for ISSUE has been provided by CHORA, a project of the Metabolic Studio, a direct charitable activity of the Annenberg Foundation led by Artist and Foundation Director Lauren Bon. CHORA aims to support the intangibles that precede creativity.

ABOUT NE(X)TWORKS
Ne(x)tworks is a collaborative ensemble of musicians creating and interpreting work that features a dynamic relationship between composition and improvisation. In performance and recordings, the group locates pathways into various types of notation systems and interfaces, striving for a meaningful dialogue with the past, present, and future of creative music.

# # #

Contact:
Sarah Garvey
PR & Marketing Director
ISSUE Project Room
232 Third St., 3rd Floor
Brooklyn, NY  11215
315 521 7018 (c)
718 330 0313

232 3rd Street 3rd Floor | Brooklyn, NY 11215 US

This email was sent to nettime-ann@nettime.org. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your
address book or safe list.

manage your preferences | opt out using TrueRemove™

Network for Good
EmailNow powered by Emma