Nicolas Montgermont on Wed, 14 Jul 2010 02:43:44 +0200 (CEST)
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
<nettime-ann> [ INFINITE STREAM LOOP ]
- To: nettime-ann <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: <nettime-ann> [ INFINITE STREAM LOOP ]
- From: Nicolas Montgermont <email@example.com>
- Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 13:30:06 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.fr; s=s1024; t=1278070207; bh=3fX4B1RwO+BqJXFKermxbH+Re95WmC7QQerfIsVxHm4=; h=Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type; b=FYvn6A9WiHqRMs8xE9+2KHJ5we/95aGR6MHAJhkNerM907ATwYDnAmD9qmAi/SgVVy4TIbDRcsTORpMjM02eHk+Oek2YTEyEjYrAKsuiNETkSnQsqyQ4I5BCBjOX5gySqpo4jGlxCgHPEhOzYk6IPQNh2e+YiFHGI9TkWOmVUHk=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.fr; h=DKIM-Signature:Received:X-Yahoo-SMTP:X-YMail-OSG:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Message-ID:Date:From:User-Agent:MIME-Version:To:Subject:Content-Type; b=J2NZU2XME70ACLUEFDafnNQ5bftcCDw4DoMQVoyga4l0P4N2+3yiJklE8NDWeZEq4Lk5A/OwB0F/XYJeWnhmtg47IO2MnY+PbYIjDtJxSGdYnunUYk+YK5D9YM6gZiPhtiPbZvSUDNACOQgASM8IQ3F5AiklcBtU5/LbuMkm2BI= ;
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.5; fr; rv:188.8.131.52) Gecko/20100512 Thunderbird/3.0.5
INFINITE STREAM LOOP|
AN AUDIO STREAM TRAVELING THROUGH
THE WORLD WIDE WEB SINCE THE 1ST JULY 2010
A PIECE FROM THE 'LAPS' SERIES BY 'ART OF FAILURE'
The field of research "Laps" focuses on generating sensible
representations of Internet by using it as a broadcasting space. The
spatial and geographic properties of the Network are
highlighted by broadcasting audio streams that travel and reverberate
trough the web. Listening to these audio streams by using specific
processes* allows to make audible an infinity of transformations that
modify the sound as it circulates on the web. These alterations are
comparable to a form of erosion caused by the network space - they are
a key to allow different mental representations of this digital
*Very low buffers and no error corrections
PROCESS | A sound is sent out over the network and goes
locations on the web. Captured at the end of a loop by
the original transmitter, the sound is played and then resent out with
no additional modification through the web.
SOUND MATERIAL | To emphasize the changes caused by the
sound used for the startup is deliberately very simple - pure silence.
SPACE | Similar to a physical & resonant space, the
network is here used as a broadcasting space where sound gets more
elaborated. The audio signal is modified by the inner properties of the
network and becomes an acoustic signature of this space.
ERRORS | The audio transmission process used here allows
to keep all
the distortions of the original material that occurred during the
process (artefacts, transmission errors, missing data...)
TOPOLOGY | The geography of the network is in perpetual
user's actions have a direct impact on the features of this "resonant
space" - the sound that one can hear through Laps constantly
crystallises the activity of part of the web.
EROSION | As a block of raw material subjected to an
back-and-forth of the sound on the network gradually shape the original
material. The audio stream becomes a real-time sculpture - a potential
acoustic portrait of the network.
SUPPORTED BY : Locus Sonus | Géographies Variables | Espace
Rybn | SCAM | RIAM
nettime-ann mailing list