Alan Sondheim on Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:50:45 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Alan Sondheim at HUMlab, Umea University, Sweden

.

Second Life Yoshikaze "Up-in-the-Air" Residency presents

Alan Sondheim

15 -22 September, 2010
@HUMlab, Umea University, Sweden

Opening hours : 8AM-4PM (Weekdays)

Opening : 2PM-4PM, 15 September, 2010
Artist present via video link from New York

Yoshikaze "Up-in-the-Air" Residency is glad to present work by Alan
Sondheim at HUMlab, Umea University in Sweden. The exhibition runs between
15th and 22nd of September, and will show A. Sondheim's work completed
during his residency at Yoshikaze on HUMlab Island in Second Life.

Yoshikaze "Up-in-the-Air" Residency is a new Second Life residency
programme run by Sachiko Hayashi together with sim manager James Barrett
from HUMlab, Umea University. Alan Sondheim has been Yoshikaze's first
artist-in-residence since 20 May, during which time he has produced
tremendous amount of work of highest quality in Second Life. These works,
which have been documented as machinimas, audio files and still images,
will be shown on eleven monitors in HUMlab's brand new exhibition space at
Umea University.

Alan Sondheim:

"For the past several months, as a result of the HUMlab residency, I've
been working on avatars and installations in the virtual world Second
Life. My main concerns have been the relationship between narrative and
architecture, the relationship between language (inscription) and a
'natural' virtual world, the creation of installations that have no
referents in the physical world, and the interrelationships among body,
sexuality, language, and virtuality.
The images, videos, and documents in this exhibition reflect the varied
stages of the installation and performance work. I'm fascinated with the
idea of creating the inconceivable, working always in dialog with the
software and hardware themselves. And I'm driven, above all, by two things
- a real sense of wonder about the world, and the desire to know as much
as I can about its structure and phenomenology. Serious play in virtual
worlds is an amazingly productive process in this regard, resulting in
what I call 'ontological mashups' that seem to constitute the very
substance of our being."

In conjunction with HUMlab exhibition, Yoshikaze Studio in Second Life
will be open to the public. Between 15-22 September, please visit
http://slurl.com/secondlife/HUMlab/95/215/351/ to experience Alan
Sondheim's work inworld.

Yoshikaze Curator: Sachiko Hayashi
SL-HUMlab Manager: James Barrett

Yoshikaze Blog: http://yoshikaze.blogspot.com
Yoshikaze on Vimeo: www.vimeo.com/user3882081

HUMlab is an internationally established platform for the digital
humanities and new media. Centered around an exciting studio environment
of about 500 m2, HUMlab offers interesting technology, prominent
international visitors, often several simultaneously ongoing activiites
and a rich mixture of competences and interests. Over the years HUMlab has
received internationally renowned guest lecturers, among them Katherine
Hayles and Steina Vasulka.
More info on HUMlab > www.humlab.umu.se/english ,
http://yoshikaze.blogspot.com/2010/05/humlab-rl-sl.html