David Cecchetto on Mon, 21 Feb 2011 19:11:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> CFP: Duration (Before and) After Media

.
Hello all, many of you may be interested in the following CFP; in any case feel free to distribute it widely.
Best,
David

CFP: Duration (Before and) After Media

In the context of ubiquitous technology, the question of duration has emerged as a powerful interdisciplinary tool for investigating the interstices that both separate and sustain medial, technological, cultural, and artistic practices. Indeed, as claims to a post-media characterization of our digital landscape collide with deeply disciplined artistic and intellectual practices, questions of the body, the human, the flesh, the social, and even time become increasingly difficult to pose (let alone answer). Thus, durationâa concept with variegated genealogies in Bergson, Deleuze, Whitehead, and others, as well as in most artistic disciplinesâsuggests a point of intervention that avows the multiplicity of the problem: what happens to duration after media? How might duration fold together pre- and post-digital practices in ways that differ from disciplinary histories? How do locative, mobile, and ubiquitous media practices (artistic or otherwise) mobilize duration, and what might we learn from these?

We invite paper presentations on these and other questions relating to duration for a small conference taking place from 10-12 August, 2011 at OCAD University in Toronto, Canada. Theoretical interventions as well as practical or case-study models will all be considered. Fewer than 30 presentations will be accepted for this gathering, so emphasis will be placed on establishing conversations towards the development of an innovative edited collection on the same topic.

Please email a 250 word abstract and 75 word bio to David Cecchetto at dcecchetto@faculty.ocad.ca before Friday 22 April. Participants will be notified of acceptance in early May.