valeria g on Thu, 3 Mar 2011 19:20:56 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Self Organising :: workshops and discussions, London

.

SELF ORGANISING

Research seminar series

QMUL - London

March - May 2011

http://self-org.blogspot.com

This series is a mixture of workshops and discussions on self-organisation and non-hierarchical work practices. It aims to bring together practitioners and theorists of forms of organisation that eschew hierarchical modes of division of labour as part of a critique of the imposition of work and productivity for profit to share working practices and collectively address their problems, obstacles, successes, and aspirations.

The encounters aim to provide an initial platform to reflect on current practices, establish networks and create shared concept-tools that can be used in different situations. We will begin from our questions, discomforts and curiosities: What dispositives feed the potential of collective practices? What makes self organisation different from self management? How do we inhabit, modulate and speak about groups? How do we share tasks, pass on knowledges, reach out or support each other through this crisis?

The guests we have invited will offer some points of departure for us to take elsewhere. The purpose is to increase our awareness of the modalities through which we become, act, and affect one another in common. As an experimental beginning, we wanted to focus each of the first set of encounters around four broad themes. We hope that this project may continue and transform itself based on the inputs and desires of all those involved.

As part of the project, recordings, materials and other resources will be made available online here: http://self-org.blogpost.com

For enquiries and suggestions, send an email to: selforganising@gmail.com

All sessions are free and open to the public to participate.

-------------------------

Programme

Friday March 4th

Self-organization and group dynamics

Internal ecologies, openness and closure, affects and ghosts, habits and artifices, scale and scope.

David Vercauteren (Micropolitiques.net, Brussels)

http://micropolitiques.collectifs.net/

Valeria Graziano (QMUL, London)

Time: 5pm-7pm

Venue: Lock Keepers Cottage, Queen Mary University

Mile End Road, London E14NS. Nearest tube: Mile End

----------------------

Friday April 1st

Self-organization and the economy

From cooperatives to social enterprises, between state funding, self funding, alternative economies and charity dependence. Authorship, redistribution of resource, production of value and co-production.

Sion Wellens (Calverts Coop, London)

http://www.calverts.coop/

Toni Prug (QMUL, London)

Marcel Mars (Jan van Eyck Academy, Maastricht)

http://kiberkomunist.posterous.com/41479850

Matt Zimmerman (Ubuntu, London)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Zimmerman_%28technologist%29

Time: 5pm-7pm

Venue: Lock Keepers Cottage, Queen Mary University

Mile End Road, London E14NS. Nearest tube: Mile End

----------------------

Friday May 6th

Self-organization and community

External dynamics, political discourse and outreach. The role of the organizer when working with constituencies. Issues of politicization, outreach, involvement, negotiation.

Doina Petrescu (Atelier d'Architecture Autogérée, Paris)

http://www.urbantactics.org/

Living Wage Campaign, London

http://www.citizensuk.org/campaigns/living-wage-campaign/

Time: 5pm-7pm

Venue: Lock Keepers Cottage, Queen Mary University.

Mile End Road, London E14NS. Nearest tube: Mile End

Friday May 27th

Self-organization and pedagogy

Knowledge production and reproduction, sharing information, thinking together.

Janna Graham (Ultrared, London)

http://www.ultrared.org/directory.html

Mate Kapovic and Vedrana Bibic (The Occupation Cookbook, Zagreb)

http://slobodnifilozofski.org/?p=1901