Ellen Sluis on Wed, 13 Mar 2013 21:25:54 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Open call for residencies/research in Barraco #55, center for Art and Research in Rio

.
Barraco #55 = Research + (Co) Creation

This is an open call for proposals for artist residencies, internships and / or theoretical research in Barraco #55, an Art and Research Center in the favela of Complexo do Alemao, Rio de Janeiro. Researchers, students and artists are invited to explore – in collaboration with the local community - topics on art, popular culture, technology and sustainability within the context of a recently pacified (by UPP police) urban community (favela) in Rio de Janeiro. We are looking for cultural exchange and interaction within and outside of the community in order to develop sociocultural and environmental proposals that encourage social mobilization through art and culture, as well as the transformation of an area classified as "poor" into an area characterised by creativity, innovation and cultural efflorescence.

Purpose of Residence

Residencies are oriented towards creating international connections that foster the exchange of knowledge and culture for reflection and mutual enrichment. More specific objectives include studying and researching local topics and issues so as to arrive at a better understanding of an area such as this in the present context; breaking stereotypes and countering prejudice; and exchanging different cultures and knowledge.

What is Barraco #55?

Research + (Co) Creation

Barraco #55 is a house and cultural incubator in Complexo do Alemao, a recently pacified urban community in Rio de Janeiro. Our overall goal is to connect and to boost the exchange of knowledge and culture, within and outside of the community, and to develop cultural projects that reveal and resolve issues and problems. Barraco #55’s small permanent staff cooperates with residents, neighborhood associations, organizations and community leaders in order to map out and explore local issues. We subsequently devise points of action and link these to the knowledge and expertise of artists or researchers interested in starting local community projects, interning in local organizations, or researching current and urgent topics, either independently or in cooperation with Barraco #55.

Our role is to introduce the artists and researchers to the community, and to substantially support them in their (research) projects. Moreover, Barraco #55 has a facilitating role, helping the artists and researchers to integrate in the local institutions and organizations, aiming at the formation of a network of local and foreign professionals.

Our Projects

We are working on a variety of ongoing projects in the areas of street art, new media, photography, film, urban planning, gender and urban gardening. Our partners are primarily specialized in the fields of ecology and recycling, audiovisual technology and art. Artists and researchers can also submit their own research proposal or work. We do not limit ourselves to a single discipline, instead we are keen to receive people from different backgrounds in order to preserve a diverse research base.

Visit our website (www.barraco55.org/collaborate) for an overview of our current and previous projects.