Hakan Topal on Fri, 27 Sep 2013 20:53:13 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> Talk Turkey: Re-Thinking Life Since Gezi conference

.
Dear Nettime Friends,

I am writing to invite you to the Talk Turkey: Re-Thinking Life Since Gezi conference that we are organizing at the New School, New York.

About the conference:

A small protest against the destruction of Gezi Park in downtown Istanbul in late May has triggered wide-ranging public demonstrations in Turkey. The conference “Talk Turkey: Rethinking Life Since Gezi” addresses key issues raised by the Gezi protests. What are their social, political, economic and artistic consequences? What are the new avenues opened up by Gezi’s broad public mobilization? And, what does the future hold for Turkey and the broader region in light of these milestone events?

Academics, activists, journalists, politicians, urbanists, doctors, lawyers, architects and artists will come together at the New School University, New York on October 4-5 2013 to reflect on the state of social affairs since Gezi.

Our aim is to deepen the conversation and explore the direction of new social developments. Some of the issues we address are large scale urban and economic transformations, limitations to democratic participation, media censorship, restrictions faced by doctors and lawyers, the role of women and LGBT activists in the protests, medical and legal consequences of state brutality, new forms of cultural and artistic _expression_ of dissent. Finally, we will reflect on Gezi in the context of Occupy Solidarity and alternative globalization movements.

The conference will be live-streamed on Youtube. Viewers will have the chance to pose their questions in English, Turkish, German and French via Twitter, Facebook and Youtube using the hashtags #TalkTurkey and #geziniyoruz.

Friday, October 4, 2013
Kellen Auditorium, 66 5th Ave (13th Street) New York, Ground Floor, 1:00pm - 6:30pm

Saturday, October 5, 2013
Wolff Conference Room, 6 East 16th Street New York, 11th Floor, 10:00am - 6:00pm

Twitter (Turkish) : www.twitter.com/geziniyoruz
Twitter (English) : www.twitter.com/geziniyoruzENG
Hashtags : #talkturkey #geziniyoruz

I am the moderator of the last panel titled Occupy Solidarity and its Global Consequences, on Saturday, October 5th, 4:40PM—5:50PM with speakers Michael Hardt, Duke University, Jeffrey Goldfarb, The New School, Despina Lalaki, New York University, and the discussant: Luck Tran, OWS

Today (Sept 26th), we started accepting registrations from anyone with a valid university email address for half of the available seating space.
Monday, September 30th, those of our prospective attendees not affiliated with an educational institution can begin to register for the other half of the available seating.

Please visit our website http://www.talkturkeyconference.com for further details.

I look forward to seeing you at the conference.

Best,
Hakan

--
Hakan Topal