Internet & Gesellschaft Kolloquium on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 20:16:50 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime-ann> EXTENDED 2nd Call for Participation: Berlin Early Stage Researchers Colloquium 2014

.
== apologies for cross-posting ==

EXTENDED

Hereby the Alexander von Humboldt Institute for Internet and Society announces the annual colloquium held in Berlin, 9 October 2014. We wish to gather early stage researchers (Ph.D.Âcandidates and post-docs) from all disciplines in order to drive forward the discussion on topics in the field of Internet research. The colloquium provides a stage for new perspectives on currentÂissues of Internet and society.

=================== BERLINÂEARLY STAGE RESEARCHERS COLLOQUIUM 2014 ===================

  Early stage researchers (Ph.D. candidates and post-docs) from all disciplinesÂ
  are invitedÂto push aheadÂwith the discussion revolvingÂaroundÂInternet research.

  Conference: 09 October 2014 in Berlin

  EXTENDED Submission Deadline: 17 August 2014:

  Online submission via:Âhttp://colloquium.hiig.de/index.php/esrc/esrc2014/schedConf/cfp

***********************************************************************************************************************

TOPICS 2014

This yearâs colloquium will consist of two thematically focused tracks.ÂWe cordially invite you to submit your research projects on one of theÂfollowing two topics:

1. PAY PER PIXEL
In the near future, we will be paying for movies according to the size of the screen that it is displayed on, as stated by Jeffrey Katzenberg, CEO ofÂDreamWorks Animation.ÂWhether that will actually happen remains to be seen, however it is clear that business models are changing rapidly due to the digital switch and correspondingly changing user expectations and behaviours. In the ESRC we will talk about how audiovisual media (e.g. film, animation, games, television etc) can cope with these dynamic circumstances. In specific on how new business models occur that adjust to the changing viewing behavior of users. What implications does this have on copyright legislation and on data protection as well as on the norms and regulations that emerge outside the legal realm? We regard this theme from a multidisciplinary perspective, and welcome contributions from the area of media studies, law, social sciences and economics. During the session, academics and people working in the field will participate in the discussion and provide a practical angle.ÂÂ MORE

2. PRIVATE INFORMATION â OPEN DEBATES
Privacy debates in the age of the Internet are prominent focal points of all the challenges arising from increased network connection, new data generation and collection techniques and conflicting cultural values. In the ESRC, we want to explore the governance of privacy works on a global scale. What are the global governance challenges of privacy? How is privacy understood and perceived in different fora and what does that mean for governing privacy? We welcome perspectives from all disciplines and from theoretical and empirical backgrounds to contribute to our debate on governance and privacy. During the session there will be very brief five-minute inputs by the authors of the papers and ample of room for discussion and the generation of new ideas. ÂÂMORE

PARTICIPANT GUIDELINES

You can apply for two types of participation at the colloquium:

1. Paper presentation

PleaseÂfeel invited to submit theoretical, practical or experimental researchÂwork.Â
We kindly ask you to follow these submission guidelines:

# An abstract outlining the relevance of the topic, the research method and questions.Â
  Max. 300 words/1800 characters with spaces (possibly printed in the programme)
# A short paper providing more detailed information about your research.Â
  2 to max. 8 pages; File type: PDF
# Short CV.Â
  Max. 2 pages; File type: PDF

2. Participation only

Please state, why you would like to join the discussion and briefly describe your research or working background:

# A short statement outlining your personal motivation, your connection to the topic and your working background.Â
  Max. 300 words/1800 characters with spaces (possibly printed in theÂprogramme)
# Optional:ÂArticles or papers that may underline your motivation or tell us more about your background.Â
  More documents possible. Possible file types: PDF, PNG or JPG
# Optional:ÂShort CV.Â
  Max. 2 pages; File type: PDF

The submission process closes on 1 August 2014. Please note that you need to register in order to submit a proposal.

SIDE EVENT

Alongside the Colloquium a thematically focused meeting on Internet Governance will take place on 09 and 10 October 2014, approaching governance in the dimensions of actors, technology andÂcontent and including a panel discussion on "Multi stakeholder approach: Legitimate self-regulation or simply lobbyism". We warmly invite you to join us and our guests during these two days toÂgain insight into this key issue within the I&S research community.

More information on the event can be found online onÂwww.colloquium.hiig.de.
For questions please contact Larissa Wunderlich (colloquium@hiig.de).

--
HIIG-Logo Larissa Wunderlich | Projektmanagerin Veranstaltungen und Wissenstransfer
AlexanderÂvonÂHumboldtÂInstitutÂfÃrÂInternetÂundÂGesellschaft gGmbH