Dave Young on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:43:55 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Talk/Workshop: The Radio and the Commons, 20-21st Nov, Edinburgh, UK

.
<Apologies for cross-posting!>

T H E   R A D I O   A N D   T H E   C O M M O N S
The Radio and the Commons is a two-day events programme of talks and a workshop. The programme explores the power of radio in contemporary society, and to propose radical ways in which it can be co-opted by the public in the digital age.

==The Radio and the Commons [talks]==
17.30 - 19.30, Forest Centre Plus, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh

The Thursday evening talks will be lead by visiting artists Roel Roscam Abbing (NL) [http://roelof.info], and Jack James (UK) [http://aftersound.co.uk]. Roel will take a historical view of the political power of radio technologies, and describe how its original imagined potential as a "mass broadcast medium" has not *yet* been realised. Jack James will present his work Temporary Local Broadcast, consisting of conversations recorded with locals during his artist residency at Metal, in Peterborough, and subsequently broadcast on a "hyper-local" radio station in the community.
More info: http://freemachines.info/events/radio-and-the-commons/about

==Write the Wave workshop==
11.00 - 17.00, Forest Centre Plus, Castle Terrace, Edinburgh

For the Write the Wave workshop on Friday, we will build radio transmitters and collectively prototype some methods for writing digital data into the airwaves. *The workshop is free to participate, and equipment/materials are provided, but booking is necessary - send me an email for more details or to reserve a place at the workshop.*
More info: http://freemachines.info/events/write-the-wave/about