felicia riceadmin on Thu, 20 Nov 2014 16:41:00 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Call for applications :: UCSC Digital Arts and New Media MFA

.

Call for applications!

MFA program application deadline: January 5, 2015

The Digital Arts and New Media (DANM) MFA Program at the University of California, Santa Cruz is initiating new collaborative research projects in the context of the program's ongoing research. Collaborating with faculty and contributing to digital media arts research is a critical component of each student's experience in the DANM MFA program. MFA students entering in Fall 2015 will have the opportunity to collaborate on the following projects:

Mechatronics :: The Role of Sound in Integrating Art, Science, and the Environment
Faculty: David Dunn
Can art participate in the discovery of solutions that can accelerate or extend those of science? Create diverse opportunities to investigate new methods for increasing the necessary monitoring of our environment through sound. Facilitate an increase in our collective environmental sensitivity. Discover unknown natural and human-made sound phenomena. Provide novel inexpensive audio tools for both artists and scientists. Contribute towards practical environmental problem solving. [more]

Participatory Culture :: The Public Record: Expanded Documentary, Activism as Affectivism
Faculty: Sharon Daniel
The interactive, web-based, database-driven, new media documentary, or “iDoc” is now perhaps, one of the most rapidly emerging new media forms. Explore the aesthetic, political and ethical dimensions of such new and expanded forms of documentary practice  experimenting with new methodologies and technologies to generate new kinds of politically and socially productive documents of our situated realities. [more]

Performative Technologies :: Odyssey 2016
Faculty: Kimberly Jannarone +
What does it mean to be a hero? How do we define the rules of society and how do we view those of societies different than ours? What is the role of women and "others" in our contemporary world? Odyssey 2016 will be an ambulatory multi-media living gallery, where participants' journeys parallel that of Odysseus as they make their way through a living series of "islands"—tableaux vivants, installations—created by an interdisciplinary group of faculty, professionals, graduate and undergraduate students. [more]

Playable Media :: Experimental Play 2016
Faculty: Robin Hunicke, Susana Ruiz, Noah Wardrip-Fruin
From the rise of the New Games movement and the emergence of the role-playing game (in the 1970s) to the current moments opportunities for pervasive, gestural, networked, and potentially deeply responsive computer games, we are changing who plays, how we play, and what play can mean. Join others who want to invent and explore new play spaces in storytelling, ideology, sociality, performance, and other rich areas of human life.
[more]

Stay ConnectedFacebookTwitterYoutubeLinkedin

University of California - Santa Cruz
1156 High Street
Santa Cruz CA 95064
If you wish to be removed from this group's mailing list, click here | Manage Subscriptions