Geert Lovink on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 17:06:16 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> THE TERMS OF MEDIA, June 17-19, 2015, Lueneburg (D)

.
Dear all,

with most of the speakers already confirmed, we would like to announce the dates for this years international conference at the Centre for Digital Cultures THE TERMS OF MEDIA from June 17-19, 2015 (venue to be announced). Please find a short introduction and a taste of the speakers below, and save the dates. The conference will be doubled by a conference at Brown University later this year. Information to follow soon.

Best,

Paul

âMedia determine our situation,â Friedrich Kittler infamously wrote in his introduction to Gramophone, Film, Typewriter. Although this dictum is certainly extremeâand media archaeology has been critiqued for being overly dramatic and focused on technological developmentsâit propels us to keep thinking about media as setting the terms for which we live, socialize, communicate, organize, do scholarship etc. After all, as Kittler continued in his opening statement almost 30 years ago, our situation, âin spite or becauseâ of media, âdeserves a description.â What, then, are the termsâthe limits, the conditions, the periods, the relations, the phrasesâof media?  And, what is the relationship between these terms and determination?

This project, which entails two international conferences, to take place at Brown University and at Leuphana University in LÃneburg, Germany, and a series of publications based on these conferences, seeks to repose and update this fundamental question of media theory. Does our situation indicate a new term, understood as temporal shifts of mediatic conditioning, which deserves a re-description?  How and on what terms are media changing, reflecting changes in media itself? What are the terms of conditions that we negotiate as subjects of media? How do the terms of media theory relate to such conditions? What are the terms of conditions of media theory itself?

Preliminary schedule (subject to change)

June 17, 2015
Keynote (07:00 pm)
Yes Men
Reception