Image Science on Tue, 9 Feb 2016 16:28:53 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> Lectures of “Challenges of Digital Art for Our Societies”: Keynotes - Sean CUBITT

.

Department for Image Science presents
Conference Lectures "Challenges of Digital Art for Our Societies"
MUMOK, Vienna

SEAN CUBITT (London): Aesthetics and Anaesthetics:
Eudaimonism and Melancholia in the Archive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyC_85lRqqU

ABSTRACT
Sean Cubitt questions the vulnerability of media archives and henceforth our obligation to them. He analyzes the values of media archives today, and what the structure of these values can tell us about the nature of ethical and political obligation in the 21st century. Beginning with eudaimonism, Aristotle's ethical principle of the pursuit of good life, it claims a special privilege for aesthetics in political life, but confesses a certain impossibility in living up to the claims of the past, only to discover in that distressing failure a model for an aesthetic politics inspired by the inevitable inadequacy of the confrontation with the archive object.

Sean CUBITT is professor for Film and Television at Goldsmiths, University London; Fellow at Melbourne University und honorary professor Dundee University. His publications include Videography: Video Media as Art and Culture (Palgrave, 1993), Timeshift: On Video Culture (Routledge, 2003), Simulation and Social Theory (SAGE, 2001), The Cinema Effect (MIT Press, 2005), EcoMedia (Rodopi, 2005), Digital Aesthetics (Sage, 2009) and The Practice of Light: A Genealogy of Visual Technology from Prints to Pixels (MIT Press, 2014). His research focuses on the history and philosophy of visual technologies, media art history and ecocritisism.

Department for Image Science, Danube University, Austria
http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/dbw
ADA Archive of Digital Art http://www.digitalartarchive.at