Call for papers, projects, performances & artworks
*PROJECTION / GEOMETRY / PERFORMANCE*
A Besides the Screen International Conference and Exhibition
Coventry University, late July 2016
Deadline for proposals: 25th April 2016
From shadow puppetry to videomapping and holography, projection is one of the central activities in moving image practices. Being at the same time a precise geometrical operation and the main underpinning of cinematographic artifice, it has a highly ambiguous existence: Siegfried Zielinski once dubbed projection “a media strategy located between proof of truth and illusioning;” Sean Cubitt, in turn, has underscored how it produces a state of simultaneous “vanishing and becoming.” While performing the articulation from space to surface and vice-versa, projection enacts the very translation of dimensions that, according to Vilém Flusser, is responsible for the creation of images. The investigation of projection thus brings forth the performativity of media.
We are looking for papers and projects that survey this heterogenous character of projection and its relation to a wide range of moving image practices to be presented at the next Besides the Screen International Conference, to be held in late July 2016 at Coventry University, United Kingdom.
It is possible to participate with papers, workshops, performances, artist presentations and artworks that address topics such as:
– old, new and future projection technologies
– the labor, role and possible agency of the projectionist
– projection theories
– architectures for (and against) projection
– projection as psychological process and/or mathematical operation
– unconventional projection geometries and sites
– the use of projection in the hard sciences and art installations
– audiovisual performances, live cinema, vjing
– mobile projection, light graffiti, pop-up cinemas
– videomapping, dome projection, planetariums
– holography, pepper's ghost, shadow puppetry, phantasmagorias
To submit a proposal, send an abstract (~300 words) and a short biographical note (~150 words) to the email firstname.lastname@example.org
, indicating in the subject SUBMISSION: BESIDES THE SCREEN 2016. The deadline is 25th April 2016.
Besides the Screen is an international research network that aims to reconfigure the field of screen studies by refocusing it on the objects, processes and practices that exist besides the screen. The project is currently supported by the British Arts & Humanities Research Council. More info can be found at besidesthescreen.com