Paolo Ruffino on Mon, 19 Mar 2018 20:47:09 +0100 (CET)

<nettime-ann> [ann] Book announcement Future Gaming: Creative Interventions in Video Game Culture

.
Dear list members,

I am happy to announce my new monograph ‘Future Gaming: Creative
Interventions in Video Game Culture’.
The book offers an 'intuitive, timely, performative, ethical,
anti-authoritarian, and anxious' reading of some of the most recent
events of video game culture, and imagines new times and timings for a
creative study of digital games. Ultimately, the book poses the
question of (paraphrasing Austin) how to do things with Microsoft
Word: how to intervene in video game culture by writing about it.

The book is available from March 23rd.

-
Chapters outline

Introduction: Creative Game Studies
1) Life After Gamification: How I Broke Up with Nike+ FuelBand
2) Independent Gaming: Take Care of Your Own Video Game
3) They Leak! Hacking PlayStation (as a) Network
4) A History of Boxes: Game Archaeology and the Burial of E.T. the
Extra-Terrestrial
5) GamerGate: Becoming Parasites to Gaming
Conclusion: At the Time of Writing

-
Book info

Goldsmiths Press
https://www.gold.ac.uk/goldsmiths-press/publications/future-gaming/

MIT Press
https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/future-gaming

Amazon
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Future-Gaming-Creative-Interventions-Culture/dp/1906897557/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521067608&sr=8-1&keywords=future+gaming

-
Future Gaming: Creative Interventions in Video Game Culture

This book is not about the future of video games. It is not an attempt
to predict the moods of the market, the changing profile of gamers,
the benevolence or malevolence of the medium. This book is about those
predictions. It is about the ways in which the past, present, and
future notions of games are narrated and negotiated by a small group
of producers, journalists, and gamers, and about how invested these
narrators are in telling the story of tomorrow.

This new title from Goldsmiths Press by Paolo Ruffino suggests the
story could be told another way. Considering game culture, from the
gamification of self-improvement to GamerGate’s sexism and violence,
Ruffino lays out an alternative, creative mode of thinking about the
medium: a sophisticated critical take that blurs the distinctions
among studying, playing, making, and living with video games. Offering
a series of stories that provide alternative narratives of digital
gaming, Ruffino aims to encourage all of us who study and play (with)
games to raise ethical questions, both about our own role in shaping
the objects of research, and about our involvement in the discourses
we produce as gamers and scholars. For researchers and students
seeking a fresh approach to game studies, and for anyone with an
interest in breaking open the current locked-box discourse, Future
Gaming offers a radical lens with which to view the future.

-
Book endorsements

“Ruffino’s provocative work poses a challenge to conventional academic
study of video games. He proposes a Creative Game Studies as a more
transparently subjective approach to the productive process of games
research and games studies appropriate to this moment of significant
change and evolution within the industry and the academy. This volume
demonstrates the value of this approach in examining both the uniquely
personal daily gamified encounters of living with Nike+FuelBand all
the way through to the very public ‘gamer’ identity crisis of the
GamerGate phenomenon.”
Helen Kennedy, University of Brighton

“Through its demonstration of an alert and lively creative engagement
with games, Future Gaming presents a fabulatory curative to
preservative narratives, generating delicious inspiration for makers
and game scholars alike.”
Tanya Krzywinska, Falmouth University

“Ruffino offers an incisive look at recent video game history, and
reveals the flaws in many of the concepts we have long taken for
granted.”
Jesper Juul, Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Design

--
Dr. Paolo Ruffino
http://paoloruffino.com