Simon Biggs on Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:35:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> crish/crash/crush digest

Andreas wrote:
>Another non-museum contribution to the pioneering telecomm projects, one
>which I have not seen mentioned here, is the ICC Tokyo's 1991 project 'The
>Museum Inside the Telephone Network'. Organised by Akira Asada, Yutaka
>Hikosaka and Toshiharu Itou between March 15-29, 1991, this project
>included several 'Channels' over which the works could be perceived (Voice
>& Sound, Interactive, Fax, Live, Personal Computer). The catalogue and
>double audio CD contain a wide range of materials and offer quite a good
>impression of the level of theorising the telecommunication networks in an
>artistic context at the time. If the ICC has not put the stuff online yet,
>maybe they should be encouraged to do so. http://www.ntticc.or.jp
-----
Another example was the 1984 Adelaide Festival's show "Interface" (curated
by Claudio Pompili and myself, with assistance from Francesca de Rimini)
which featured a number of telematic artists such as Tom Klinkowstein as
well as artists working right across digital media in the 70's and 80's. I
can't remember the names of any of the other artists working with
telematics that were in the show (I do not even have a catalogue for the
show anymore) but there were a number...most of those primarily active at
that time. It was easy for us to show these artists as we didn't have to
ship them or their work all the way to Australia. I think that of 100 or so
artists about 10 or 15 of them were working with telephone/fax/bulletin
boards/ham radio, etc. The others were mostly working with media
installation, video, computer graphics, audio environments, holography, etc.

Simon Biggs
London GB

simon@babar.demon.co.uk
http://www.easynet.co.uk/simonbiggs/