Arun-Kumar Tripathi on Sun, 2 Apr 2000 19:00:52 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Prof. Borgmann: _Holding On to Reality_, Prof. Dreyfus & Heidegger

Greetings Lists,

I thought, members might be interested in my recommendations of Prof.
Borgmann's works --Albert Borgmann, a Professor of Philosophy at
University of Montana, USA..his area of research interests are Philosophy
of Society and Culture, Philosophy of Technology. To his credit, he has
useful books, such as "Technology and the Character of Contemporary Life",
"Crossing the Postmodern Divide", "Holding On to Reality: the Nature of
Information at the Turn of the Millennium". Following, I tried to
compile the useful web-pointers regarding Prof. Borgmann's research works
and publications, Prof. Hubert Dreyfus's research works and Heidegger's
works, etc.

--Following chapters is used by Phil Mullins in his course HUM205, he is
the Chairperson of Communication Studies, Professor of Humanities at
Missouri Western State College--

Notes on Prof. Borgmann's book:Chapter 4: Hypermodernism: "Crossing the
Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/nts-ch4.htm>

Notes from the Chapter 1: Closure and Transition- Widespread sentiment
that we live in period of closure and transition: from his book:
"Crossing the Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/nts-ch1.htm>

Notes from the Chapter 2: Modernism: from his book: "Crossing the
Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/nts-ch2.htm>

Notes from the Chapter 3: Postmodernism: from his book: "Crossing the
Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/nts-ch3.htm>

Notes from the Chapter 5: Postmodern Realism: from his book: "Crossing
the Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/nts-ch5.htm>

And, Graphical presentation of Summary of Arguments from his book
"Crossing the Postmodern Divide" is available at
<http://www.mwsc.edu/~mullins/hum205/bgmn-pmd/ovrview.gif>
--------------

An interview/dialogue with Albert Borgmann and N. Katherine Hayles on
Humans and Machines is available at
<http://press-www.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/borghayl.html>

An excerpt from the book: "How We Became Posthuman: Virtual Bodies in
Cybernetics, Literature, and Informatics" written by N. Katherine Hayles
is available at <http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/321460.html>

A very very interesting paper, 'Highway Bridges and Feasts: Heidegger and
Borgmann on How to Affirm Technology' written by Prof. Hubert Dreyfus and
Dr. Charles Spinosa is available at <http://www.focusing.org/dreyfus.html>
beginning with "The essence of technology" --In writing about technology,
Heidegger formulates the goal we are concerned with here as that of gaining
a free relation to technology -a way of living with technology that does
not allow it to "wrap", confuse, and lay waste our nature.

The complete details about his new book: "Holding On to Reality: The
Nature of Information at the Turn of the Millennium" is available at
<http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/13710.ctl>
and an excerpt from his book is available at
<http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/066258.html>

Besides his above book, he has also written other books namely, "Crossing
the Postmodern Divide", "Technology and the Chracter of Contemporary
Life". He has also contributed to the books, namely, in "Discovering
Design" edited by Richard Buchanan as a chapter 'The Depth of Design'
written by Prof. Borgmann and in "Technology and the Politics of
Knowledge" written & edited by Andrew Feenberg and Alastair Hannay as a
chapter 'The Moral Significance of the Material Culture' written by
Albert Borgmann.

He has also contributed to the book: "Wilderness and the Heart: Henry
Bugbee's Philosophy of Place, Presence, and Memory" edited by Edward F.
Mooney. The details about the book is available at
<http://www.uga.edu/~ugapress/catalogs/spring99/07amooney.html>

The Review of the book: "Technology, Time and the Conversations of Modernity",
by Lorenzo C. Simpson, Routledge, 1995, written by Prof. Andrew Feenberg
is available at <http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/faculty/feenberg/simp3.htm>

An essay on 'ELEMENTS OF A POSTMODERN HOLINESS HERMENEUTIC ILLUSTRATED BY
WAY OF THE BOOK OF REVELATION' written John E. Stanley is available at
<http://wesley.nnc.edu/theojrnl/28-2.txt>

An article on "Philosophy as a Contributor to Well-Being" written by
Walter B. Gulick..is available at
<http://www.bu.edu/wcp/Papers/Educ/EducGuli.htm>

An interesting essay related to 'How Not to Read Dreyfus' written by Mark
A. Wrathall is available at
<http://humanities.byu.edu/Philosophy/club1.html>

About Prof. Borgmann -complete information is available at
<http://www.umt.edu/phil/faculty/Borgmann/Borgmann.html>
Prof. Albert Borgmann is also working as a Board of Directors of 'The
International Association for Environmental Philosophy (IAEP)' details are
here at <http://www.utc.edu/~iaep/exec.htm>

Books of essays on Heidegger is at
<http://www.webcom.com/~paf/hb/hbessay.html>

Heidegger Gesamtausgabe
<http://www.webcom.com/~paf/hb/gesamt.html>

Books about Being and Time is at
<http://www.webcom.com/~paf/hb/hbbandt.html>

Books about Deconstruction and Martin Heidegger is at
<http://www.webcom.com/~paf/hb/hbdecon.html>

Books about early Heidegger is at
<http://www.webcom.com/~paf/hb/hbearly.html>

I hope, you would enjoy the resources related to the great philosophers!
Sincerely
Arun Tripathi
Research Scholar
UNI DO, Germany