Heiko Recktenwald on Sat, 20 May 2000 10:40:47 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> OFSS01: First Orbiten Free Software Survey]

> notoriously difficult-to-use open source programs. (Although most desktop
> users don't currently need to use sendmail, running one's own mail server
> (that's what sendmail is) can have some privacy and diskspace advantages.)

Also one of the most powerfull. All linux and FBSD people have it
installed, its difficult to configure, you need to use the m4 thing, but
once this has been done (see the FBSD "handbook" file), you can forget it.
Well, there are other smtp programms, but you'll need an smtp server if
you want to use Pine or whatever like Eudora. Writing mail whenever you
want and send it when you are connected. I think if you use a permanently
connected machine, no modem, ppp etc, sendmail works out of the box, if
there wasnt ORBS and those other bad guys....

H.