McKenzie Wark on Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:30:48 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> [talk given at tulipomania dotcom]

Michael makes a good point about the relationship between the economy
of attention and the fringe benefits associated with attention -- the
conferences, the travel and so on. But i think he's missing one thing:
there's a difference between choosing to give intellectual property
away free, and having others appropriate it. I'm not arguing for the
replacement of the gift economy by a commodity one. Rather, for the
right of intellectual producers to choose when to participate on a
gift economy. Photocopying in universities is of course just one
example. The merits of the gift economy has been widely canvassed on
nettime; the role of property and its protection as an element in
economic autonomy, less so.

"We no longer have roots, we have aerials."
http://www.mcs.mq.edu.au/~mwark
 -- McKenzie Wark