Curt Hagenlocher on 28 Jul 2000 22:47:15 -0000

[Nettime-bold] RE: <nettime> echoes of napster digest

> From: Wessel van Rensburg [mailto:Wessel@eCountries.com]
> Subject: RE: <nettime> echoes of napster digest

> The BBC reported it:
>
> 'Users of Napster software are likely to buy more records than non-
> Napster users, according to a recent survey of 2,200 Napster users.'
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_852000/852283.stm Wessel

I dislike the RIAA as much as anyone, but this is is a somewhat
meaningless survey that made me think, "Duh!"

After all, Napster users are much more likely to be music aficionados
than non-Napster users.  I have no Napster-using friends who do not spend
at least some money on purchasing music, but many non-Napster-using friends
who spend no money on music whatsoever.

The real question would be, for the average Napster user, whether or
not their music purchases went up, down or stayed about the same after
they started using Napster.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curth@motek.com