Oliver Ressler on 4 Aug 2000 13:54:29 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Virtual Manifesta is online now!

VIRTUALMANIFESTA.COM

The web-project Virtual Manifesta is a response to strong disagreements
and differences in curatorial visions between the four curators of
Manifesta 3 (the show can be seen in Ljubljana in Slovenia till
September 22, 2000).
Virtual Manifesta is curated and produced by Manifesta 3 curator Ole
Bouman.

It includes web-projects by Martine De Maeseneer, Ginger Freeman, Laura
Kurgan, Albert Weis, Fat, Wim Cuyvers and Oliver Ressler.
All projects can be seen at http://www.virtualmanifesta.com

"I'M Fired (IMF)” – a contribution to Virtual Manifesta by Oliver Ressler:

The International Monetary Fund IMF stands for "I'M Fired”. At least in
South Korea where a U$58 billion Structural Adjustment Program in 1998
caused an average of 8.000 people a day to lose their jobs. As a result,
as many as 25 of those committed suicide each day.
In other countries the effects of these programs imposed by big
international financial institutions were even worse.
The web-project "I'M Fired (IMF)” focuses on the marginalized
argumentation that the neoliberal economy policies of the international
trade organizations – especially of the IMF – can be seen as the main
reason for the economic, political and social breakdown of Yugoslavia
and the resulting civil wars in Croatia, Bosnia and Kosovo.
The project makes a contribution to raise the public consciousness about
the IMF to get these disastrous policies changed. In this sense
Yugoslavia functions as a mirror for so many other countries where
similar economic restructuring programs are being imposed.

visit  http://www.virtualmanifesta.com