Roberto Verzola on 25 Sep 2000 01:57:06 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Water-shedding

 >them, in one or another version, have been distributed. Nonetheless, a lot
 >of people I would want to have them just haven't been interested - and I
 >ascribe this to - no matter how much the opposite is claimed - an intrans-
 >igent attachment to the _book_ - something I also feel. It's as if the
 >cdrom can only be a _project,_ or _resource_ - but nothing that carries
 >the weight or intimacy of the book - nothing, in short, that is _desirab-
 >le,_ in terms of personal ownership. The relationships and gaps between

Perhaps because you don't need anything else to read a book, except a
knowledge of the language it is written in. A cdrom needs a cdrom
drive, computer and software, all of which must be compatible with the
cdrom. It also needs electricity and the technology that produces it.
In short its usefulness requires an *entire* infrastructure which is
itself changing rapidly. I'll go with the book.

Roberto Verzola