Phil Graham on 28 Sep 2000 13:27:01 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Fatso the fat-arsed wombat

http://www.olympics.com.au/AAP/Article/0,1176,3293,00.html

28 2000 08:06 PM
Fatso bidding tops $35,000

Fatso the Fat-Arsed Wombat was today confirmed as the star of the Sydney
Olympics, when bidding for the unofficial Australian mascot topped $35,000.

The $35,780 top bid for Fatso in an online auction for the Olympic Aid
charity, is more than 10 times the amount bid for Muhammad Ali's signed
polo-top.

And with two days of the auction still to go, Fatso is closing in on the
record $100,000 bid for Ian Thorpe's fast-skin competition swim-suit.

Fatso, the official mascot of Channel Seven's hit show, The Dream with Roy
and HG, has achieved cult status throughout the Games, particularly among
Australian Olympians.

Swimmer Grant Hackett carried Fatso onto the medal podium after his 1500m
freestyle win last week.

Michael Klim also embraced the wombat. Fatso shared the gold medal podium
with Klim, Ian Thorpe, Chris Fydler and Ashley Callus after the men's
4x100m relay.

Susie O'Neill held the wombat high during a relay medal ceremony.

However, he has not appeared since, prompting speculation he was banned
from medal presentations by the Australian Olympic Committee because of
fears he was competing with the AOC's official mascot the boxing kangaroo.

HG Nelson said Fatso's experiences with Olympic athletes inspired him to
offer himself up for auction.

"It's a dream come true that Fatso is kicking butt online for Olympic aid,"
he said.

"Sure, Roy and I will be sad to see a lifelong friendship collapse in
tears, but kiddies around the world will benefit from our loss.

"Do your bit now in cyberspace."

The top bid for Fatso has come from 34-year-old Dean Shannon, the chairman
of Brisbane based Internet company TOAST.COM.

"The reason I am bidding for Fatso is a little bit of fun for me, an
opportunity to support a worthwhile charity and to get a memorable Olympic
item as odd as it may be," he told AAP.

"It is easy to get caught up in the excitement surrounding this event."

Olympic Aid is an athlete driven initiative to raise funds for children in
need. Olympic Aid Chairman and four-time gold medallist speed skater Johann
Olav Koss welcomed Fatso's contribution to the cause.

"We are delighted that Fatso not only has a fat arse, but a big heart and
has given himself to Olympic Aid for the benefit of Australian children in
need," Koss said.

Souvenir shops have reported huge demand for copies of Fatso, but Channel
Seven has insisted there is only one in existence and there are no plans
for merchandising.

Fatso is being auctioned on-line at www.olympicaid.com with bids accepted
up to midnight this Saturday.

Copyright AAP