Jay Fenello on 6 Oct 2000 21:32:49 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Napster, intellectual property and the attentioneconomy

At 10:07 PM 10/5/00, Michael Goldhaber wrote:
>Nettimers might be interested in my article on Napster, intellectual
>property and the attention economy, which is availble in english in
>tlepolis at this url..
>
>http://www.heise.de/tp/english/kolumnen/gol/8806/1.html
>
>here is the opening- -
>
>THE NAPSTER REVOLUTION AND THE LAW
>by Michael H. Goldhaber
>September 19, 2000

Hi Michael,

Excellent article.

On a similar note, I am currently writing
an article for Matrix News on a variation
of this topic, and how it relates to the
domain name wars.

While it won't be complete until next
week, here is the preliminary intro:

Comments welcome.

Jay.

+++

"Just like land and seeds were critical to the Agricultural
revolution, and raw materials and equipment were critical to
the Industrial Revolution, concepts and ideas are critical to
the Informational Revolution."
  -- http://www.iperdome.com/responses/testimony.htm

When Worlds Collide
    By Jay Fenello
       An Aligning With Purpose(sm) Column

What would happen if people could own thoughts?  What if they
could own words?  What if corporations could?  What if they
could control when and where you could use *their* thoughts
and *their* words?

As scary as this sounds, we are right now, today, on the verge
of these very decisions.  In case you doubt it, take a listen to
the Harvard debate between famed legal scholar Larry Lessig, and
the Motion Picture Association's very own Jack Valenti.
   -- http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/futureofip/

[...]

+++

Jay Fenello,
New Media Strategies
http://www.fenello.com  678-585-9765
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World