Andreas Broeckmann on 18 Oct 2000 08:27:48 -0000

[Nettime-bold] tm.01 - Artistic Software Prize - call for entries

Please distribute!
Apologies for cross postings!

transmediale.01  - international media art festival berlin
DIY [ do it yourself ! ]
4 - 11 February 2001

CALL FOR ENTRIES

The transmediale.01 will award three prizes - each worth DM 10.000 -
in the categories: Interactive, Video and Artistic Software.

DEADLINE: 31 October 2000 (postmark).

ARTISTIC SOFTWARE

For the first time (ever?), the transmediale is organising an art prize
competition in the field of software. We are interested in supporting the
artistic work done by hybrid artist-programmers whose production have a
distinct artistic quality yet which have not been sufficiently acknowledged
so far.

At the same time, we hope to stimulate the discussion about the aesthetic
potentials of programming (not only the 'but can it be art?' question, but
also that of 'does it offer a new and creative perspective of the culture
of technology?', and 'does it both enable creative production, and
represent an art work in itself?'). These questions will also be probed
during a panel discussion at the festival (probably on Thursday, 8 Feb 01).

For the time being, the definition that we use for the as yet barely
defined field of ARTISTIC SOFTWARE is that it incorporates projects in
which self-written algorithmic computer software (stand alone programmes or
script-based applications) is not merely a functional tool, but is itself
an artistic creation and a form of aesthetic expression.

GENERAL

The transmediale.01 invites the submission of artistic projects developed
in or after 1998.

The closing date for entries is 31 October 2000 (postmark).
It is urgently requested that entries should arrive prior to that date,
though.

Please download the entry form (pdf) from our website
http://www.transmediale.de or request it as an attachment from
info@transmediale.de.

The transmediale - international media art festival berlin - will be held
from 4 to 11 February 2001 in the Podewil - Center for Contemporary Arts -
in Berlin and at other venues. The transmediale is a platform for artistic
and critical reflection on the role of digital technologies in present-day
society. The festival provides a forum for communication between artists,
those working in the media and a wide range of experts and offers a
stimulating environment for the presentation of major new digital culture
projects.

Hosted by Berliner Kulturveranstaltungs-GmbH
Supported by Hauptstadtkulturfond, Berlin Senate, European Commission -
Media II and Sponsors
Special thanks to: Contrib.Net

transmediale
Klosterstr. 68 - 70   10179 Berlin   GERMANY
Tel. ++49 30 / 2472 1907  Fax ++49 30 / 2472 1909
info@transmediale.de     www.transmediale.de