david sinden on 27 Oct 2000 18:53:10 -0000

[Nettime-bold] M A K I N G A R T M A T T E R for Lighthouse [nr]

   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
   M A K I N G  A R T  M A T T E R
   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
     digital
        artwork
           commission
   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
   L I G H T H O U S E
   ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lighthouse is the leading digital media and film centre in the South
East of England. <http://www.lighthouse.org.uk>

For the Making Art Matter commission, Lighthouse will build on its
reputation for commissioning innovative artworks that use video,
multimedia and computer-based technologies.  Projects such as the
Event Coast series with BN1 in 1999-2000 featured installations along
the south east coast by Simon Poulter, Tessa Elliot, Susan Kozel,
Paul Sermon and Heinrich + Palmer.

The Making Art Matter commission will be a new digital artwork
focusing on public spaces, environments, architecture and light for
Summer/Autumn 2001.  We aim to develop audiences for contemporary art
through the use of technology to create illusion, wonderment,
aesthetics, curiosity, play and humour.  We intend to create more
positive and dynamic levels of involvement in the viewing and
creation of contemporary artwork.

It is envisaged that the work will be site-specific and focus on a
large scale installation, projection or performance/intervention.  It
is likely that this will be outside and will definitely be 'public'.
The work may use sound, video, animation, text, sculptural elements
or web technologies but must be technically robust, tried and tested.
Lighthouse are open to receive ideas from artists about how they wish
to approach the commission as long as it is accessible, innovative
and sited in a public arena.

The commission will be available to one central artist/artist group
with previous experience of major commissions.  Also 3 support
commissions will be available to work alongside the central
commissioned artist(s) through residencies and educational work.  The
central artist(s)' fee will be 5,000 pounds plus 10,000 pounds
production expenses.  The support artists' fees will be 2000 pounds
each plus 2500 pounds production expenses each.  Additional resources
are available for equipment, education, tech & travel, etc.

The deadline for applications is FRIDAY 10 NOVEMBER 2000.  For more
information and a Making Art Matters commission application form
contact Lighthouse asap at <info@lighthouse.org.uk> or phone 01273
384 222 or fax 01273 384 233.

We look forward to getting some exciting ideas!

   apologies if you got this more than once
   and please pass on. thanks

..David Sinden . Lighthouse . Lux

....t: +44 (0)79 3138 1136 . e: dvs@appleonline.net

......<http://www.lighthouse.org.uk> . <http://www.lux.org.uk>

   [ lux london to mid-november . then to lighthouse brighton ]