Benjamin Geer on 30 Oct 2000 19:28:23 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Nader! Bush! Gore! Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! digest [x4]

> Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:51:38 -0500 (EST)
> From: David Mandl <dmandl@panix.com>
> Subject: Will a Bush victory start the revolution?
>
> > From: "Benjamin Geer" <benjamin.geer@btinternet.com>
>
> > Actually, I think that a Bush presidency would be one of the best
> > things that could happen to Nader.  A Bush administration would no
> > doubt strengthen dissent in the U.S., increasing the appeal of the
> > Green party.
>
> The way Reagan's election (twice) and Bush Sr.'s election strengthened
> dissent in the U.S.?

Well, I think they did, actually.  But on reflection, I think
Clinton's policies (e.g. NAFTA, and the dismantling of the welfare
system) did as much to strengthen dissent as anything Reagan or Bush
had done.  I'm sure that Gore would have the same effect.  So whether
Bush or Gore wins, it will help Nader's chances next time.

--
Benjamin Geer
http://www.btinternet.com/~amisuk/bg