Nmherman on 31 Oct 2000 06:41:39 -0000

[Nettime-bold] The Official Genius 2000 Network Ninety-Five Theses: October 31, 2000

++++++++++

Ninety-Five Theses for the Genius 2000 Network

1.  16. Hell, purgatory, and heaven seem to differ as do despair,
almost-despair, and the assurance of safety.
http://www.luther.de/e/95thesen.html
2.  The Genius 2000 Network is non-profit.
3.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/SFMOMA82700.html
4.  Christianity is a battle in the discussion of media control.
5.  Crucifixion is an act of protest demanding access.
6.  The Second Coming is god's final messenger.
7.  God is the ineffable union of history and individual cognition:  Genius
2000
8.  What does it take to be a genius?  Do you have it?  Does anyone you know
personally have it?
9.  What does the year 2000 mean?  Does it mean this to you, or other people?

10.  How are the concepts of genius and the year 2000 connected?
11.  These questions written by the Genius 2000 Project.
12.  Thus, for Robespierre, ancient Rome was a past charged with the time of
the now, which he blasted out of the continuum of history.
13.  Religion forgets that its own existence is based on man's tragic
estrangement from his true being.  (Paul Tillich, Theology of Culture)
14.  [Religion] forgets its own emergency character.  (Ibid)
15.  Who cares about GENIUS?  (Mark Stahlman,
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Launch.html)
16.  Steve Dietz at http://www.walkerart.org has seen the Genius 2000 Video
First Edition but will not publicly review it.
17.  David Ross at http://www.sfmoma.org has seen August 27, 2000 but will
not publicly review it.
18.  Matthew Mirapaul at mirapaul@nytimes.com has seen the Video First
Edition but will not publicly review it.
19.  Tom Sherman at www.syr.edu received a copy of Lesson One in 1998 but
will not publicly review it.
20.  Kevin McCoy's review of Genius 2000:  "Genius 2000 is delirious,
unlimited in scope, and astonishing in ambition."
21.  Patrick Lichty's review of the First Edition is at
http://www.rhizome.org (query:  Genius 2000)
22.  Luther sent his 95 Theses to a few bishops and some friends; therefore
he did not expect or receive a prompt response. By the end of 1517, however,
copies of the 95 Theses had been printed in Leipzig, Nuremberg and Basel.
Some humanists and princes passionately approved of the theses, but parts of
the Roman Church completely rejected them. The most vehement voice against
the theses was the Indulgence Priest Tetzel, who supposedly categorized
Luther as a follower of the heretic Jan Hus and threatened to have him burned
at the stake.
http://www.luther.de/e/anschlag.html
23.Out of love for the truth and from desire to elucidate it, the Reverend
Father Martin Luther, Master of Arts and Sacred Theology, and ordinary
lecturer therein at Wittenberg, intends to defend the following statements
and to dispute on them in that place. Therefore he asks that those who cannot
be present and dispute with him orally shall do so in their absence by
letter. In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.
http://www.luther.de/e/95thesen.html
24.  4.The penalty of sin remains as long as the hatred of self (that is,
true inner repentance), namely till our entrance into the kingdom of heaven.
25.  43.Christians are to be taught that he who gives to the poor or lends to
the needy does a better deed than he who buys indulgences.
26.  45.Christians are to be taught that he who sees a needy man and passes
him by, yet gives his money for indulgences, does not buy papal indulgences
but God's wrath.
27.  49.Christians are to be taught that papal indulgences are useful only if
they do not put their trust in them, but very harmful if they lose their fear
of God because of them.
28.  52.It is vain to trust in salvation by indulgence letters, even though
the indulgence commissary, or even the pope, were to offer his soul as
security.
29.  65.Therefore the treasures of the gospel are nets with which one
formerly fished for men of wealth.
30.  66.The treasures of indulgences are nets with which one now fishes for
the wealth of men.
31.  72.But let him who guards against the lust and license of the indulgence
preachers be blessed.
32.  79.To say that the cross emblazoned with the papal coat of arms, and set
up by the indulgence preachers is equal in worth to the cross of Christ is
blasphemy.
33.  Send a blank email to Genius2000Conference2000-subscribe@egroups.com to
join a public discussion of the Genius 2000 Network.
34.  The primary IMAGINATION I hold to be the living power and prime agent of
all human perception, and as a repetition in the finite mind of the eternal
act of creation in the infinite I AM.  Samuel Coleridge, 1814
I=Genius AM=2000 God=I AM God=Genius 2000 Max Herman
http://www.artsconnected.org:8080/~shock
35.  Fluxis writes, "Fluxus is dead, and the writings of Ken and the
'post-Fluxus intelligentsia' have contributed to its death. The freedom of
Fluxus has been limited, turned revolting, to academic goo, bound to
libraries and art discussions, away from breathing, away from reality."
http://king.dom.de/fluxus/list/
36.  From:   <nmherman@aol.com> Date: Mon Oct 9, 2000 8:08pm Subject: Fwd:
RHIZOME_RAW: NO HOGWASH - PURE VITAMINS From "porculus" porculus@W...To:
list@r...Subject: Re: RHIZOME_RAW: NO HOGWASH - PURE VITAMINS Date: Mon, 9
Oct 2000 18:51:50 +0200
Sender: owner-list@r... thingist will stay open. hg was just a nightmare ?
and what the fuck do i make with my full of shit charged gross berta for
firing him down now !? and after to give all this liver pâté to the mouchette
's cat ? what a waste ! hum too bad alex, come in i will shot you in cold
blood, it's life alex and you chose it, just think it's just bizness as
usual, your corpse will be autopsy by max and his 2000 maniac genius, smile
and be happy alex
+ Every teacher is taught, everyone taught teaches.
37.  Valery Grancher sued Max Herman in 1999 for defamation of his artwork
"24h00"; the plaintiff demanded  US $20,000:  the suit was eventually dropped
due to lack of merit.
38.  Winona Laduke, Green Party candidate for VP 2000, has a copy of the
Video First Edition but will not review it publicly.
39.  I have heard evil reports about myself, most blessed Father, by which I
know that certain friends have put my name in very bad odor with you and
yours, saying that I have attempted to belittle the power of the keys and of
the Supreme Pontiff.
http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/luther/nine5-pope.txt
40.  Max Herman is a madman who should never be stopped.  http://www.one38.org
41.  Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura must be heavily pressured to watch,
review, and discuss in public the Video First Edition.
42.  Just as ordinary corporations are solely and entirely machines to
increase shareholder wealth (often at the expense of culture and life) so
®TMark is a machine to improve its shareholders' culture and life (sometimes
at the expense of corporate wealth).  http://www.rtmark.com
43.  Pues bien, así como las corporaciones son entera y únicamente máquinas
de incrementar la opulencia de sus accionistas (a menudo en detrimento de la
cultura y la vida), ®TMark es una máquina de mejorar la
 cultura y la vida de sus accionistas (a menudo en detrimento de las
opulencias)  http://www.rtmark.com
44.  Group exhibitions include "Greater New York" at the P.S.1 Center for
Contemporary Art, "Tenacity" at the Swiss Institute of New York, "Subject to
Sound" at The Rotunda Gallery, "The Art Entertainment Network" at the Walker
Arts Center, "The Skin Game" at Smackmellon Studios, and "Tomorrow*s Home
Today" at The Manchester Museum of Science as part of the ISEA festival. They
have shown both performance works and installations at the Posmasters
Gallery. Screenings and online works have been presented internationally at
arts festivals in countries including Poland, Japan, Switzerland, France,
Germany, and Holland. In 1999
 they received the New York Foundation for the Arts grant in computer arts, a
Jerome grant through the Walker Arts Center. and were artists in residence at
the Worldviews program at the World Trade Center and Harvestworks Media
Center. In 2000 they have received a commission to produce a web-based art
project from The Alternative Museum in New York City. Articles about their
work have appeared in Spin Magazine, Feed, and The Independent.
45.  http://www.egroups.com/message/eryksalvaggiosucks/32
46.  Despite the best will in the world from those who are in what we
call positions of responsibility, the system invariably manages not to
reward those who succeed in communicating between boxes without
respecting established structure.  /:b
47.  Eulogy for the Utopian Dream of the Net by Randall Packer
> Universal Page
> Natalie Bookchin + Alexei Shulgin
> http://www.universalpage.org/
> http://www.walkerart.org/gallery9/universalpage/
>> "The Dream is over."
48.  max, your criticism was the perfect antidote to "october is derrida
month" at N.Y.U. (no kidding, it's real!).  this essay is the muscle car of
art crit.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Eulogy.html
49.  10/28/2000:  Me casa es su casa
50.  10/28/2000:  Vive la revolucion
51.  10/28/2000:  A thesis statement is a statement.
52.  10/28/2000:  All work and no play is sometimes contagious.
53.  10/28/2000:  I'm a graduate student, I don't write thesisis!
54.  10/28/2000:  Luther cursed Satan when he worked out his chronic
constipation.
55.  10/28/2000:  May your women be hearty and your children be smarty.
56.  10/28/2000:  My heart is like an artichoke.
57.  10/28/2000:  Go Vikings!
58.  10/28/2000:  Fact:  NIne out of ten Catholicks feel guilty about being
guilty.
59.  10/29/2000:  Myth:  Catholics floss daily.
60.  10/29/2000:  Myth #2:  The pope is sweet in bed.
61.  10/29/2000:  Myth #3:  Mary was some sort of vehicle.
62.  10/29/2000:  When one smiles too much, it hurts.....Praying produces,
only when there is a minimum of crap attached....BMA....Stop reigning on
Freedom--Anarchy Today!.....Move on to the next person....You did your hands
too....sexy robots....In certain elements X is Y....Herodotus, Thucydides,
More, Luther, and Socrates were historians....Will the Christian churches be
able to remove the wrong stumbling blocks in their attempts to communicate
the gospel? (Paul Tillich)....Tamburlaine.com....Thomas More's Utopia vs.
George Orwell's 1984 = Genius2000Conference2000@egroups.com....With Luther,
religious faith became reflective;the world of the divine was changed in the
solitude of subjectivity into something posited by ourselves (Habermas).
63.  People who believe in God tend to turn to the bible.
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/TheDealwithGenius2000.html
64.  Scene 3: Max passing out literature on UC Berkeley Campus, night.
Max: Noam Chomsky's birthday, send him a letter. Noam Chomsky's birthday,
send him a letter on the web....Scene 28: Hooper in his office.
Hooper: But the other, the most, the beautiful aspect of genius is, the
better use of the phrase, the word, is the realization that human beings, in
general, have a genius.  All of us have elements of genius. Special
abilities, special ways of putting ideas together, special ways of expressing
beauty in music, special ways of expressing love in a sort of communal sense
sometimes. That's the, that's also a genius, and it's the one that in a
society, in an economy and a social system which tends to be sort of built
like a pyramid, with some folks up at the top and other people down at this
bottom of this pyramid, who tend to be regarded as less geniatric--no, not
less genial, geniatrical or something--Max: Genious, O-U-S.  Hooper: Yeah,
ah, so when you have that, you tend to forget the genius of most people, as
individuals and as a group.
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Ate.html
65.  Ted: I think you've just covered that, by discussing martyrdom in
general.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Albos.html
66.  Scene 20: Max with his guitar.  Max: So I think, in other words, you
have to say "I'm the Messiah."
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Albos.html
67.  My role model for a core part of my life is a man who had heart, and
courage, and guts, and the power of 10 men.  I hung on his career.  I
memorized his poetry.  http://www.governor.state.mn.us/martinlutherlayout.html
68.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/furmax.jpg
69.  A Messiah listening to the dying words of Charles Geter on NPR, abjectly
munching nacho chips by the dashboard light.
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/artreviewGenius2000.html
70.  Search Google for "Genius 2000 Max Herman"
71.  Hey Max, It's about 20 minutes after 12.
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/kalx.html
72.  I did notice several people at the game (on and off the field) pointing
to the sign and mouthing (I was too far away to hear) "What's Genius 2000?".
Someday, people won't have to ask............................
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Launch.html (C.Balkman Commentary)
73.  Gnosticism - (nos'te-siz'm), n. (nostic + -ism), a system of mystical
religious and philosophical doctrines combining Christianity with Greek and
Oriental philosophies, propagated by early Christian sects that were
denounced as heretical.  /Rolling.html
74.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/CE2.jpg
75.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/Minneapolis7.JPG
76.  Genius2000 is an epicenter at which the following beliefs resonate:
All people are capable of genius. All people have an obligataion to express
their genius. All people have the right of respect for their genius by fellow
human beings.
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/TheDealwithGenius2000.html
77.  Max Herman received an M.A. in English from Syracuse University in May
1998.
78.  Max Herman's score on the GRE Subject Test in English was 740 (99+
percentile).
78.  Max Herman's score on the GRE General Test Verbal section was 800 (99+
percentile).
79.  Max Herman and several others were censored from the then-open listserv
"Thingist" (thing.net) in March 2000.
80.  Any discussion of Genius 2000 by any person was prohibited on Thingist
during this period of censorship, which only ended in October of 2000.
81.  "The revolution [caused by the internet] will be internal."  (David
Ross, Director of SFMOMA, June 2000.)  director@sfmoma.org
82.  Alex Galloway at www.rhizome.org has received a copy of the Genius 2000
Video First Edition but has not reviewed it publicly.
83.  Brad Brace has received a copy of the Video First Edition but has not
reviewed it publicly.
84.  MTAA have received a copy of the Video First Edition but have not
reviewed it publicly.
85.  http://www.egroups.com/message/eryksalvaggiosucks/33
86.  http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000/January_1_Website.GIF
87.  http://www.restlessculture.net/mriver/vote.html
88.  http://www.restlessculture.net/infoslut/opl
89.  From him who hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath; and
let the unprofitable servant be cast into outer darkness.  There shall be
weeping and gnashing of teeth.  (Matthew 25: 14-30)
90.  www.votenader.com
91.  Love 2000 is at http://www.amuro.com
92.  Mail for Noam Chomsky should be sent by regular mail to MIT E39-219, 77
Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139 USA//Journalists entering the
system are unlikely to make their way unless they conform to these
ideological pressures, generally by internalizing the values.... Those who
fail to conform will be weeded out....//Necessary Illusions Thought Control
in Democratic Societies Noam Chomsky Copyright © 1989
93.  20. [95] Ac sic magis per multas tribulationes intrare celum quam per
securitatem pacis confidant.
http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/text/wittenberg/luther/ninetyfive-latin.tx
94.  I come not to dispute the prophets, but to fulfill them.
95.  Forward these theses via email to and post them as hard copies on all
places of media authority October 31, 2000.

To discuss this text online, send a blank email to
95Theses-subscribe@egroups.com.  You may also send your own 95 theses to this
list if you wish.

Max Herman
The Genius 2000 Network