Erik Haines on 3 Nov 2000 15:37:09 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Artists and Industry, Unite!

>Why must artists continually whine about access to equipment at the same
>time they are complaining about a need for access to engineers?
>If your going to work with technology why not get under the hood yourself
>and make it work?  Why on earth would you want access to the newest
>technology if you need an engineer to help you with the old technology?

Possibly because they want to learn some of the engineers' skills, or to
have undocumented features revealed to them?  It's _hard_ to keep up with
all the new technology - vrml, flash, shockwave, java, etc. It's especially
hard if you happen to be doing art as a sideline while you keep yourself
barely alive with a crappy minimum wage job that devours your time in return
for very little money.

PS, I love the Ascii ribbon.  Keep Email Thin! :)