integer on 5 Nov 2000 14:09:44 -0000

[Nettime-bold] [ot] [!nt] \n2+0\

Dear list participants,

Please forgive me in advance for this off-topic post. I ask for your indulgence
+ retreat irrespective of.

>From: Beatrice Beaubien <i2eye@mac.com>
>Subject: [OT] Re: [max-msp] the woman who knew too much (about cycling74)
>
>Dear MAX list participants,
>
>Please forgive me in advance for this off-topic post. I ask for your indulgence.
>
>The subject matter however strikes a deep chord.
>
>I knew Alice Stewart. When I spoke to her, she was a crusty, articulate scientist who did not suffer fools, but gave of her insights and energy, despite the understanding that she had to shepherd her resources (she was quite old when I began speaking to her).
>
>Some brief background: When I was in Britain finishing my doctorate in Biochemistry, my neighbour, a QC (Queens Counsel), was approached by a group of parents near the Windscale Nuclear Reactor in Britain whose children has contracted leukemia, asking whether he would represent them. He asked me to suggest how he could prepare a defence. In our discussions the name of Alice Stewart came up, and I phoned her to ask whether she would be interested in helping.
>
>She was unfailingly to the point. It was evident that she had a grasp on the effects of low dose radiation that was deep and broad. This appreciation of low dose effects overturned many of the conventional approaches to radiation, which tended to be linked to a conventional dose response curve, eg. the higher the dose the more severe the effect. Despite the dogma, Dr. Stewart had epidemiological evidence that strongly suggested that even low doses of radiation produced leukemia in children. As the implications for state liability was great, her data had to be of the highest order. This was perhaps her largest contribution; not only was the evidence clearly in support of the dangers of low dose radiation, but the studies (i.e. the statistics) were incontrovertible.
>
>The story of Alice Stewart is a model for scientists and particularly women biomedical scientists.
>
>Thanks Integer for this post. I have no idea why you chose to broadcast it,

shall ventr:

00. pred!kz!e + ztrateg!k rezponsz
02. kontrol [f!ll !n dze zpasz]
04. !ndusz kaoz 4 purposez ov deztab!l!z!ng 01 ordr 4 purposez ov retreat!ng !n 201 lvl!er ordr.

>but Alice Stewart's work needs to be more widely known.

! lv++ znouballz + pla!ng u!th matchez. fsch.

                jetzt ___... dz! kr!ket = !zt mel.t!ng. [he.u!zprz. - ! l!ke !t]
bLp. jetzt ___... dze znouballz = droun!ng 01 mel.t!ng kr!ket. da + da. [he.u!zprz. - YES PL EASE!!!!]

! re[ad]jo!ce.

 -

 Netochka Nezvanova    -  beauty and the beasts: woman. ape + evolution
 f3.MASCHIN3NKUNST
 @www.eusocial.com
 17.hzV.tRL.478