Nmherman on 7 Nov 2000 05:40:04 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> (S)end//////October was Derrida month at NYU

In a message dated 11/6/2000 7:33:30 PM Central Standard Time,
dteh@arthist.usyd.edu.au writes:

> Hence, we have seen that the apocalyptic tone, at once diagnosed and
>  practiced by Derrida, may be present in every act of communication, from
>  the once rigid disciplinary realms of academic discourse to the intricate
>  and hidden movements of the information economy.  If it has in fact been
>  embedded in even the most 'rational' forms of writing, if only on the level
>  of linguistic structures, it would nevertheless seem to be now encroaching
>  upon the very means of communication themselves, creating a system of
>  exchange in which some intimation of the end, and with it an entirely
>  questionable authorship, attach to every single transaction of meaning or
>  'information'.  In marketing itself as an infinite plurality, the new
>  medium realizes, in itself, an apocalypse of knowledge.  In the era of the
>  internet, not only does every utterance say the end of correspondence, but
>  the system itself is both an exemplary model of apocalyptic mystagogy, and
>  a sign of the end.
>

>  david teh, 1999.

David, I liked this post.  I think it is very much about Genius 2000 and the
endings of things.  You might be interested to look at the Walker's Shock
archive at walkerart.org; a bunch of Rhizome people and I talked about
similar ideas.  (The archive can be found at the Walker's "Shock of the View"
page which links to Artsconnected.  You have to advance to about December
1998 before I start posting much.)

Best Regards,

Max Herman
The Genius 2000 Network
Genius 2000:  Works on Paper
http://www.geocities.com/~genius-2000

PS--the following is from my own Master's Thesis on E.L. Doctorow's Book of
Daniel.  The only missing analogue is the email; I think Doctorow might say
the whole book (published 1972) is an email.

++++