Doug Kellner on 13 Nov 2000 21:55:31 -0000

[Nettime-bold] smoking gun with the gun

opps, forgot to enclose TIMES article=
MONDAY NOVEMBER 13 2000

Gore camp demands FBI inquiry

FROM DANIEL MCGRORY IN MIAMI

THE FBI is being asked to investigate how thousands of mainly black
supporters of Al Gore were given ballot papers that had allegedly already
been marked for rival candidates.
Yesterday Democrat officials were examining claims that up to 17,000 ballot
papers in the Miami area had been tampered with in what they described as
"organised corruption". Lawyers from across the United States descended on
Miami and were busy taking statements from those complaining that they had
been cheated or intimidated out of voting for Mr Gore.

A senior Democrat official in Miami, who has hired a team of 20
investigators to carry out an inquiry, told The Times: "Until now in
Florida, we have been arguing foul-ups, human error and stupidity. But this
is deliberate corruption to spoil votes for Gore and that must be a matter
for the FBI.

"We don't want to be seen as playing the race card here, but the areas where
this happened are in poorer precincts, which are predominantly black areas
that would be expected to vote almost unanimously for Vice-President Gore.
We are not accusing the Republican Party or any other ethnic groups for
being behind this. All we are saying is the vote was corrupted. There are
just too many double-punched papers."

Jewish leaders in staunch Democrat areas of the city claimed that they, too,
had evidence of voting slips being marked before they reached polling
stations in areas populated by retired Jewish couples. At a rally in a Miami
synagogue, Lisa Versaci, Florida director of People for the American Way,
said: "There can be no innocent explanation for a pre-punched ballot sheet."

Republican leaders in Miami dismissed the allegations as "dirty-trick
 claims". A spokesman said: "A spoiled ballot is not uncommon. There is no
dark plot here."

Copyright 2000 Times Newspapers Ltd. This service is provided on Times
Newspapers' standard terms and conditions. To inquire about a licence to
reproduce material from The Times, visit the Syndication website.

World News

November 13, 2000

Douglas Kellner
Graduate School of Education