Mike Weisman on 14 Nov 2000 02:02:41 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> No Logo is a good Logo

I disagree with Mr. King. The book is sitting here on my coffee table,
waiting for me to finish the latest Flashman book so I can get to it.

Ms. Klein visited Seattle to promote her book recently and gave a discussion
at the Seattle IMC.  So far as I am aware she is the first author to do this.
We had about 40 people come and listen to her and ask questions.  It was a
very lively interchange.

matt king wrote:

> However I feel that the promotion of her work in the media has been given
> a one-dimensional branding all of its own. It seems that this book with
> its large flat coffee table form will become another piece of christmas
> present gloss that is talked about rather than read (I probably wont read
> it).

I disagree here.  I am sick and tired of everyhting that speak to human
dignity and the rights of consumers has to be published on the cheapest grey
paper, with a cover that looks like a grammar school art project, and no
pictures or art to break up the monotonous, droning, officious prose.

>  Obviously there is no point publishing
> something that no one is aware of, but is it the issue that people like or
> the sound of the words "No Logo" and "Naomi Klein" tripping off their
> tongues, letting others know that they are down with the latest
> compassionate consumer zeitgeist.

If this books becomes popular with the Starbucks crowd it would be the
biggest culture jamming, subversive political event in years.  I don't think
its likely, but since this book points an accusing finger at Starbucks it
would be great if they even read a chapter of it.  At least they would be
thinking...

> I would prefer it if this book was published as more of a pulp popular
> train station/airport book rather than a glossy Waterstones coffee table.

Yeech.  Why does being progressive have to be ugly, boring, and dull.  And
usually body odor, too.

> I'd rather see someone reading that on the tube than see it lying dead and
> unread on a glass coffee table. (apologies for saying coffee table too
> often)

In the future, everyone in the revolution is going to be beautiful, well
coifed, athletic, thin, tanned, and smelling of expense perfumed
moisturizers.  The revolution will do that for you.

--
Please respond to:
Mike Weisman