William Blake on 16 Nov 2000 11:47:50 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Useless NetArt: Interview Harwood(Mongrel)&DrTafnus

Disintegrate everything

Painstakingly printed, hand-trimmed Microsoft Word menu items. Matthew Fuller's impressive 'A song for occupations' installation at the Lux Centre(London) got off to an intriguing start as he gathered around him some of the notables from the London NetArt scene and supervised them individually to paste 2,500 colour prints onto the largest wall of the gallery. This work reminded me again of the tendency toward a kind of meta-formalism that seems to be creeping into the better work I see around me in the NetArt genre.

This is not the formalism of the lame, wowie-technology lobby but the graphic formalism of precise thought abstracted to the point of process and very little else. While I understand the scene's pull toward this meta-formalism and avantgardism, when no one else is listening, do we really need to enter into such a territory? Or is there another strategy?

From meta-formalism to the strains of biotech art struggling to cultivate themselves beyond the petri dish, to my own vacuum of NetArt's worthy social worker...I've wondered whether I've not been missing the point. Maybe there is some underlying strand of activity that would shed light on the contemporary situation.

Fortunately a couple of days after the Lux show, I met up with Dr Debra Tafnus, a rabid mathematician from the Institute of Post-Predictive Computing. I decided that she and the IPPC had something crucial to add to the debate. This is the result of an interview that I conducted with her over coffee in the café at the Tate Modern.

As we began, Debra stared out over the financial district of London and the St Paul's Dome, muttering and shaking her head:

DDT: Money, mechanisation and algebra: the three monsters of contemporary civilisation. Money, mechanisation and algebra: the three activities identified as the prequisites of the computer. Those of us who love mathematics and revere it as one of the great expressions of our humanity like my dad did, will want to ask why it is thought that mathematics, in cahoots with its other two accomplices, has given rise to such statistical monstrosities. My dad once had a dream of social salvation through a technological utopia. Now his dream is gone, all gone.

H: Debra, I know you have strong feelings about the procedural corruption going on in the application of mathematics and computerisation at the moment. But do you think that web art has a sufficient critical understanding of the agenda behind the mathematical models it uses?

DDT: No. You people dance around the edges of subjects, making yourselves look good by making the next in-joke, like Matthew Fullers 'A song for occupations', or camping up outmoded technologies with some old windows music programme.

H: What gives current mathematical models their power?

DDT: A computer model can be stopped at any particular procedural phase and assessed to give a reasonably reliable premonition of impending doom or predict the normative growth of our toenails. Look at this simple model of bacterial growth, one that is hopefully familiar to any of the biotech terriers in your avant-garde (she writes the mathematical generation model of bacteria growth on the back of a napkin with her eyeliner pencil):

Generation time = ( 3.3 log ( b0 / b1 )) / t

where t = the time interval between the measurement of cell numbers at the point in the log phase(b0) and then again at the later point in time (b1)

b0 = initial bacterial population
b1 = bacterial population after time t
log = logarithms to base 10
3.3 = log 10 to log 2 conversion factor