Benjamin Geer on 16 Nov 2000 19:57:33 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> cell/mobile phones

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 05:23:57AM -0500, sean aylward smith wrote:
> > On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 12:15:19PM +1000, sean aylward smith wrote:
> > > all the research on _why_ young women are taking up mobile phones
> > > indicates the single most important reason for their adoption of
> > > mobiles is security, not to call their friends.
> >
> > Clearly the respondents in such studies are lying.  You can't expect
> > people to admit to wanting to enhance their image [...]
>
> hmm, i have a real problem with disbelieving ppl when they say they're doing
> something for some reason [...]

And when politicians say they're cutting social services in order to
help the poor?

> (and tangentially, given the massive uptake of mobiles, you'd
> suggest their marketing strategies are pretty accurate, hence the
> survey data they're basing their strategies on must similarly be...)

Their marketing strategies are based on fashion and sex appeal, not on
safety.  I haven't seen any adverts that even mention the security
benefits of mobile phones.

--
Benjamin Geer
http://www.btinternet.com/~amisuk/bg