TOMLYTT on 4 Dec 2000 18:47:43 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nlc> Re: <nettime> Fw: Enemies of the Future

FYI, nonsense for the holidays - Tom Lyttle

"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."  George W. Bush, Jr.

"The Holocaust was an obscene period in our nation's history. I mean in this
century's history. But we all lived in this century. I didn't live in this
century."  Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 9/15/95

"The future will be better tomorrow."  Governor George W. Bush, Jr.

"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."  -Governor George W. Bush,
Jr., 8/17/93

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy -- but that could change."  Governor George W. Bush, Jr., 5/22/98

Subject: MEDIA suppresses JEB HUMPING HARRIS!!!!
From: thekiller99@my-deja.com
Date: Fri, Dec 1, 2000 10:34 AM EDT

Read all about it. Networks, newsmagazines and major
newspapers are sitting on a reported adulterous affair
between Jeb and Katherine Harris. CNN is said to have issued
a gag pending air tight verification. This would go a long
way toward explaining why Katherine was no-how no-way going
to allow hand recounts. As the reporter in the link below
says: Monica never had the power of vote certification. I am
also certain that Katherine's reconstructed mouth is a
tighter fit.

Certified Bedfellows? The rumors about Jeb Bush and
Katherine Harris the media is suppressing by Tamara Baker

Thursday, Nov. 30, 2000 -- SAINT PAUL, MINNESOTA (AmpolNS) -
- How quickly do you think it would take for a rumor about
Bill Clinton having an affair with, say, Madeline Albright,
his Secretary of State, to go from the right-wing rumor
mills at Free Republic and/or Lucianne.com, to Matt Drudge's
website, and from there to the legitimate media?

Judging from how Michael Isikoff used Drudge as a way to put
the initial CoupGate stories in play back in January of
1998, I'd guess it would take maybe less than a day. If
that.

Yet for well over a week, I have been hearing persistent
reports, from sources as far-flung as KGO Radio and The New
York Observer, that CNN and Newsweek and The New York Times
all have the goods, at least in part, pertaining to an
alleged sexual relationship between Florida Governor Jeb
Bush and HIS Secretary of State, Katherine Harris -- yet
very little has actually made it into print on this matter.

According to Ron Rosenbaum in the December 4, 2000 edition
of The New York Observer, much of the East Coast media
establishment, including the Washington Post and the New
York Times, is buzzing like crazy over this story, a story
which they are not allowed to cover, except in the most
oblique and sanitized fashion.

Rosenbaum even points out two paragraphs, one from the NYT
and one from the New York Post, as examples of how reporters
in both papers are being forced to 'sanitize' their
references to Harris' alleged sexual affair with Jeb Bush.

A story in today's New York Daily News seems to follow the
pattern of oblique, sanitized references mentioned by
Rosenbaum. While the article itself does not refer to the
alleged affair, the accompanying photo -- which shows
married woman Katherine Harris apparently being goosed by
married man Jeb Bush -- has the following semi-suggestive
caption: "Jeb Bush and Katherine Harris pal around before
the start of a cabinet meeting in Tallahassee yesterday."

The speculation about the affair is not confined to the East
Coast print and electronic media. Ray Taliaferro, at San
Francisco radio station KGO, has been referring to the
alleged affair and its coverup on his graveyard-shift radio
show. And Bev Conover of Online Journal has also reported on
the alleged affair and its coverup. At the end of an article
dealing mostly with another story the mainstream media has
largely embargoed -- namely, the compelling evidence of
nationwide orchestrated Republican efforts to prevent black
voters from voting, or to prevent their votes from being
counted -- she includes this:

If the disenfranchisement of tens of thousands of voters
wasn't enough, another source alleges, "Newsweek is sitting
on allegations that Jeb Bush and Kat Harris have had an
adulterous affair" and that CNN has instructed its
newswriters "not to report the affair."

The source claimed the following was issued "Tuesday in
cnni.readme (a constantly updated file on CNN's computer
network):"

>Guidance

>Newsweek has an item on an alleged personal relationship
among >two of the top players in Florida. Under NO
circumstances should >this be reported on CNN without the
approval of senior management.

>We'd also recommend that we be prepared in case this gets
brought >up during a live interview or news conference.

If this allegation proves to be true and even the Bushes
can't keep it buried forever, it doesn't take a rocket
scientist to figure out why George W. and the Republicans
are screaming for Gore to concede.  Surely even William
Bennett would scream, "Where's the outrage?" if Jeb Bush,
who promised to deliver Florida to his big brother, and
Katherine Harris, who had the gall to tell the Florida
Supreme Court it was wrong as she brazenly certified the
election results to give George W. Florida's 25 electoral
votes, were sleeping together.

"CNN and the rest of the media are digging hard -- but
they're squelching it from the public until they can cover
their tails," said our source.

I anticipate that my Republican readers are already typing
furious e-mails to me, pointing out what they will call my
hypocrisy in defending Bill Clinton's goings-on with Monica
Lewinsky while denigrating Jeb Bush for playing around with
his own Secretary of State. To those not-so-gentle readers I
reply: since when was Monica Lewinsky in charge of
certifying vote tallies for her Presidential boyfriend?