Ododita on 11 Dec 2000 04:41:51 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Fwd: What makes a difference

This afternoon I watched LIKE IT IS a weekly news forum on channel 7
that highlights an examination of current political issues and events
from an African American perspective.  i.e. what all this means for black
folks
in America and the country as a whole. I found the discussion very
informative in light of the current voting rights issue in Florida.  I will
be ordering transcripts for anyone interested.

What it confirmed was that my anger with Gore for ignoring the support given
to him by African Americans who were disallowed from voting is something to
really be bothered about. His choosing to ignore the situation by never ever
mentioning this travesty and discouraging anyone from bringing it up is
unforgivable and will
damage what's left of our democracy for a long time to come.

When I rage against Gore as I've been for his silence regarding this matter
I'm treated as if it doesn't really matter because the uncounted votes are
all that really matter at this point.  Which is a subtle way of saying, we
don't need those votes anyway.  Well, think again.  By Gore's choosing to
only fight for the votes that were cast and "not being counted" as an issue
separate from and more relevant to his winning than the 85% turnout of
African American voters that came out to vote for him in Florida and were
denied, is shameful!!!  It is this vote that would easily have taken him over
the top.  Without mentioning this he is turning a blind eye to the depth of
the corruption that is in play to disenfranchise not only African Americans
but our entire democracy that is (as we are again beginning to realize) not
democratic.  The African American block of voters so critical to this
election have been ignored (again) in a state where their vote was of
greatest importance.  Does the bloodshed, lynching's and murders suffered at
cause to fighting for the voting rights of African Americans in the South
during the 60's really mean anything?

What would result if many who were denied and now ignored chose not to go
through the ordeal again in support of Democrats?  How will this continue to
affect us all?

To add insult to injury for this large voting block to not be mentioned as
important or relevant to the whole scheme of Gore's situation at present, is
nothing short of
settling for our continued complacency while setting ourselves up perfectly
for Republicans to gain an even stronger hold into our future.