Newmedia on 15 Dec 2000 14:55:33 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> Against computerised democracy

Torsten:

> I wholeheartedly agree that companies should
> have nothing to do with elections and that paper
> ballots seem the least corrupt way to hold
> elections.

Wouldn't that be a FABULOUS irony in all of this . . . whereas the apparent
TREND is to shift voting towards the more and more "mechanical" (with the
coincident handing off of voting to the "machines" which have in ever other
way taken over our lives) -- with some sort of ATM machine being the next
step on the way to "instant" polling or "hyper-democracy" -- what if the
actual result was to simply ask people to clearly write out their choices on
a paper ballot?

Yikes!

This would shift the balance away from "point-and-click" robotic-confusion
towards the need to understand how to spell and how to write clearly.  Then
only "humans" could actually VOTE.

Talk about real EMPOWERMENT!

Guten Tage!,

Mark Stahlman