text warez on 29 Dec 2000 08:43:46 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Self-restraint in the Desire for Knowledge

Self-restraint in the Desire for Knowledge

Karim BENAMMAR, Faculty of Cross-cultural Studies,
Kobe University

Thinking begins when the desire to know is freed from any
compulsion to dominate
(TI, 186)(1)

  Philosophy, and epistemology in particular, is a self-
reflective exercise insofar as the thinker applies understanding
and imagination to question the existence, validity, and kinds of
knowledge attainable by the human mind. Philosophers have often
sought to limit the ground, scope and aspirations of knowledge,
but they have done so predominantly in order to survey the
totality of the realm of attainable knowledge or to preserve the
inquiry from error. The challenge posed by the work of Michel
Serres is to conceive of a knowledge which would embody the
practice of self-restraint, not with the purpose of avoiding
error, but instead out of a desire to withhold from domination
and exclusion.  Michel Serres, sailor, mathematician, historian,
philosopher, aesthete and staunch defender of French language and
culture, has written twenty-one books so far in his search for
this new kind of knowledge. Serres' writing can be divided into
three chronological categories: his earlier epistemological
analyses, published as the Hermes series; a middle period of
literary essais which include Genese, Detachment, Les Cinq Sens
and Statues; and his most recent books, Le Contrat Naturel, Le
Tiers-Instruit and Atlas, which focus on pressing contemporary
issues (2). In Le Contrat Naturel, Serres argues, with obvious
parallels to Rousseau, about the need to establish a notion of
humanity which includes our planet, and to renegotiate a "natural
contract" which stresses our interdependence with the natural
world. "When the hairs on the philosopher's head have turned
white", Serres has said (3), "it is time to write about
education", the theme of Le Tiers Instruit. Le Tiers Instruit is
neither a treatise on education nor a set of principles for the
upbringing of young people, but a meditation on the kind of
knowledge we hope future generations will pursue. In a recent
interview (4), Serres acknowledged that the possibility of
philosophical wisdom, the fate of the earth and the future of our
knowledge hold more fascination for him today than the analytic
and epistemological
questions that fascinated him when he was young.

 In this paper I will focus on the notion of self-restraint in
the desire for knowledge put forward by Serres in Le Tiers-
Instruit. I believe that his search for a radically new knowledge
which would not based on domination and exclusion is of great
philosophical importance, and that it deserves our attention. I
find the notion that the desire for knowledge ought to restrain
itself both compelling and puzzling. It is compelling because the
notion of self-restraint can provide a matrix for the interaction
of human intelligence with the natural world. Yet it is puzzling
because it is never quite clear what it would mean for the desire
to know to restrain itself, nor where such an internal imperative
would spring from. While I wholeheartedly endorse the direction
and tenor of Serres' philosophy, I am critical of his description
and analysis of the
principle of self-restraint.

 I will begin by presenting Serres' argument in some detail and
linking it to some of the recurring themes in his earlier works.
Serres proposes several notions of self-restraint; indeed, he
analyses the notion of self-restraint in most human endeavors: in
ethics, epistemology, science, aesthetics, ecology, philosophy,
law, and religion. I will show that the notion of self-restraint
in the desire to know, which may at first sight appear to be an
epistemological problem, is treated by Serres as an ethical
injunction. More surprisingly, perhaps, this ethical injunction
itself appears to rest on an aesthetic principle. The structure
of the argument thus proceeds from an aesthetic principle to an
ethical injunction, to conclude on the status of the theory of
knowledge. While an argument that seeks to find an extrinsic
foundation for a theory of knowledge is not exactly original in
philosophy, this particular focus on the interaction between the
ethical and aesthetic is interesting.  There are two main points
I want to make in this paper: first, I want to stress the
continuity in Serres' thought and show that the notion of self-
restraint finds its roots in Serres' earlier appeals against an
epistemology dominated by power and exclusion. Second, I will
argue that Serres' appeal to an aesthetic principle undermines
his whole argument and more readily helps us to prove the very
opposite of his position. While this paper does not directly
address questions about ecology or the relationship of humanity
to nature, it does examine how theoretical, philosophical
discourse can discuss
ecological issues.

 The last third of Le Tiers Instruit begins with nature and the
wisdom attributed to King Solomon: "There is nothing new under
the sun". Serres imagines that the temperature of our temperate
earth will increase or decrease dramatically, wiping out species
and diversity. Under the frozen expanses or the torrid desert
sun, there will be nothing new; the weather here functions as a
metaphor for the unlimited expansion of a single law. Serres'
various appeals to moderation and self-restraint all seek to
counter the threat of a single law in science or philosophy
obliterating everything before it and ruling uncontested.
Instead, Serres champions diversity at every level, and a
"philosophy of mixed bodies"(5) which strives for balance between
the various elements of our
knowledge.

 The key metaphor here is the sun, which figures prominently in
King Solomon's phrase, conjures up the specter of a scorched
earth, but also represents epistemological clarity. According to
Serres, "The theory of knowledge has never ceased to take the
emission or expansion of light as its primary model" (TI, 247).
Since the emission from a light source is theoretically infinite,
we can note the relevance of the metaphor for unlimited
expansion. In Les Cinq Sens, Serres tried to show how fundamental
the senses other than sight are to knowledge of objects in the
world, and consequently how limited a theory of knowledge based
on the sense of sight alone really is (6)..  The other important
metaphor is the interplay between the two meanings of the French
word temps, which means both 'time' and 'weather'. Serres uses
this double meaning to point to the two limits to endless growth:
the weather, or the limit of the ecological adaptability of the
earth; and time, which allows self-restraint by forgiving
misdeeds and breaking the cycle of retribution. Although Serres'
style makes it difficult for us to unravel all the strands of his
discourse and its many metaphorical meanings, the many
repetitions of his main appeal to self-restraint allow us to
reconstruct the thrust of his argument
without fear of misinterpretation.

 Self-restraint arises almost naturally from an ethical
principle: according to Serres, "no doubt humanity begins with
holding back" (TI, 180). In order to hold back, the endless
striving for power and control must be restrained. Against
Nietzsche's main contention in On the Genealogy of Morals (7),
Serres claims that "humanity becomes human when it invents
weakness - a strongly positive value" (TI, 185). Note the stress
on the idea of invention, which Serres distinguishes from
discovery; the claim is that we should not assume the existence
of weakness but rather create it ourselves. Indeed, all the
theoretically negative aspects which diminish an overwhelming
desire or thirst for power are 'transvaluated' into positive
elements. To refrain from doing even though it is in one's power
becomes the guiding ethical principle: "Morality first requires
abstention. The first obligation is caution; the first maxim:
before doing the good, avoid the bad" (TI, 184). Even in ethics,
the preponderance of an exclusive law should be challenged;
against Kant, Serres holds that: "The wise person therefore
disobeys the unique law of expansion, does not always persevere
in his own actions and thinks that to make his own conduct a
universal law defines not only evil but also madness" (TI, 184).
 In discussing knowledge, Serres plays on the etymological
kinship between 'reason' and 'reasonable': "To be reasonable
means to withhold from the full capacity of one's reason" (TI,
186). Or, in Serres' most naked and dogmatic assertion of self-
restraint: "Reason puts aside some reason to restrain itself"
(TI, 184).The scientific endeavor is, predictably, the area in
which runaway reason can do the greatest damage: "Unified, mad,
tragic, science is winning, and will soon reign, but as the
winter wins and reigns" (TI, 187). Again, the solution lies in
self-imposed moderation: "Science will become wise when it will
restrain itself from doing all it can do" (TI, 188).

 Serres finds in ecology a concept which vindicates self-
restraint: "Yet now we discover this old evidence anew: the Earth
cannot give to all its children that which the rich wrestle from
it today. There is scarcity" (TI, 192). Scarcity, itself a lack,
a negative value, disrupts the equation in which endless progress
is equated with endless growth. Self-restraint then becomes the
response to the realization of this situation. There are both
theoretical and practical aspects to self-restraint:
theoretically, self-restraint is a part of reason itself; in a
practical sense, it is the adaptation of the human race to
compelling circumstances out of a spirit of survival. Moreover,
self-restraint is found both at the individual and communal
level: "We have to restrain ourselves, each of us individually
but especially as a group, and invest part of our power in
reducing our power" (TI, 186). The foundation of the ethical
group lies in communal self-restraint: "To enjoy power and not
take advantage of it is the beginning of wisdom, of civilization"
(TI, 192).

 When Serres looks at the basis of our laws, he finds that they
are founded on the principle of retribution. Justice is based on
compensation, on vengeance, on the eternal return of the
vendetta. This cycle of retributive violence is bound to continue
endlessly, since it is a closed system, an eternal recurrence of
crime answering crime. To break out of this ever-recurring cycle,
Serres proposes the statute of limitation, a legal concept which
allows for the essential working of time by voiding criminal acts
after a certain period. By introducing a non-reversible element
into a closed system, we destroy its cyclically repetitive nature
(8). According to Serres: "This has concerned law, but also
morality, politics and theology: the pardon is the foundation of
ethics, clemency the foundation of power, self-restraint covers
justice and controls our destiny (TI, 216). This last quote shows
the extent to which Serres considers these fields to be
intertwined by the notion of self-restraint. Clemency and self-
restraint are the non-reversible elements which break up the
endless cycles of vengeance or accumulation of power.

 While Serres appeals to self-restraint in ethics, ecology and
politics, he finds it already present in art. To the accumulation
of power or the will to dominate, Serres opposes the work of
art:"The work of art, timid, weak, fragile, lost, waits to be
discovered, shines softly as a crystal in a crevice, and
fortunately, does not propagate. The work itself holds back" (TI,
189). Just as non-reversible elements break up an eternal cycle,
so the originality and uniqueness of the work of art breaks up
the propagation of copies. The inimitable work of art does not
fall under the domination of the single law: "Fortunately, and by
definition, the inimitable has no imitators and thus neither
spreads nor propagates itself" (TI, 189). The original and
inimitable work of art is beautiful precisely because it is free
from the compulsion to dominate; it is this principle which
Serres suggests we make the basis of thought: "When science and
reason will have attained beauty, we will no longer
be in any danger" (TI, 190).

 There is essentially nothing new in preaching self-restraint in
our interaction with the environment or in our scientific
progress, even though there is now overwhelming evidence that
humankind will face an uncertain future if our mad growth is not
drastically contained in the decades to come. What singles out
Serres' argument is the level at which he stakes his claims,
since he demands nothing less than a radical reconception of
thought itself. The remarkable thing about Serres' interest in
ecological issues is that it has enabled him to express in a
practical and relevant sense the abstract longing for another way
of thinking which haunted his earlier writing. In Rome, in which
he discussed the bloody foundation of the city using the first
book of Livy, Serres wrote: "We still have to found a city, a
science or knowledge which will no longer be founded, like ours,
on death and destruction. Aside from the dreary repetitions of
history, there remains only this single task" (9).  In
Detachment, we read:

"All things are emptied of their reality through rivalry. Every
science is void of its truth through rivalry. You who fight for
your truth possess only the truth of the contest. You who fight
for knowledge possess only the knowledge of the battle. Soon,
there will be only one science, the science of battles. The
science of all sciences will only be an immense strategy, the
space of knowledge lies in the hands of the soldiery" (10). And,
a few pages later: "I am dreaming: outside our knowledge there
exists a learning sealed off by our
very science, killed by our very language" (11).

 The concern with the destructiveness of a single science or a
single knowledge has remained, but the difference with the
earlier work is that Serres now clearly identifies the evil as
the law of unlimited growth, and proposes an answer. It is an
answer and not a solution, because it does not solve the problems
that arise from unlimited growth or domination by a single
principle. It is not an argument, not a final move in the game;
rather, it is an attempt to rewrite the rules. Serres' answer is
situated outside of the territory of the rule of unlimited
growth, since it stipulates that this growth should never be
allowed to take place. Serres' answer is to stay well clear of
the founding premise of the law of unlimited growth: do not
succumb to the rhetoric of domination or you will be doomed. The
appeal to self-restraint is thus not properly speaking a
solution, either practically or philosophically; it is a call to
reinterpret the way we think about knowledge and power, a summons
to think anew, to desire knowledge without the compulsion to
dominate.  Since Serres' claims are so important, and because
they point towards a fundamentally different way of thinking, it
is vital that we understand the way his argument progresses. I
claim that Serres' argument leads him to assert that the
necessity for self-restraint ultimately rests on the formulation
of an aesthetic principle. As we have seen, Serres appeals to
self-restraint in the exercise of power, in the desire for
knowledge, in scientific research, and in our interaction with
the environment. Restraint is theoretically a negative value,
since it is withholding from action; in this sense, it is a
restrictive factor. Yet by closing off the open-endedness of the
law of unlimited expansion, it also becomes a defining factor.
The law of unlimited growth of knowledge or power is a law onto
itself, since it requires nothing else but limitless expansion.
By restraining ourselves from occupying the total space, by
withholding from limitless expansion, it appears that we
acknowledge a higher,
extrinsic principle of control.

 Yet what makes Serres' characterization of self-restraint
paradoxical is its reflexivity, since power or reason restrains
itself: "reason puts aside some reason to restrain itself" (TI,
184). The restrictive and defining principle is part of reason
itself; its action occurs internally. In other words, if total
control of anything by a law of unlimited growth includes
controlling itself (for example by curbing its own action when it
endangers its own foundation), then a law controlling itself
exhibits total control at a higher level. Since the agent, the
agency and the object of control are all the same, reason or
power grows at the same time that it limits itself.
Paradoxically, then, reason controlling itself would be more
powerful than unbridled reason. Moreover, if the principle of
control is truly inherent in reason itself, then reason cannot be
controlled by outside principles of any kind, including ethical
ones. This is not, however, the way Serres' argument progresses.
His first appeal is ethical: "Morality first requires abstention.
The first obligation is caution; the first maxim: before doing
the good, avoid the bad" (TI, 184). The exhortation to withhold
from using one's power can be compared to the ethical imperative
one is placed under in the face-to-face in Levinas. The face of
the other is itself an imperative which forces me to assume
responsibility for my deeds and those of others, irrespective of
the real balance of power between us at the moment. Ethically, it
seems that we can at least conceive of a law which requires first
of all that one withhold from the full exercise of one's power.
 Serres, however, does not ask us to believe in such an ethical
imperative by a leap of faith. He proposes instead an aesthetic
principle: that which is inimitable has no imitators and
therefore does not propagate itself. It is a novel an interesting
philosophical move to link self-restraint in an ethical or
epistemological sense to the aesthetic value of a work of art. I
claim that Serres has staked the very intelligibility of his
ethical imperative on its being able to be modelled on an
aesthetic imperative. According to his description, this
imperative could take two forms: that of the aesthetic desire to
create a work of art; or that of the status of the work of art
itself as an inimitable object. I now want to argue that neither
of these two kinds of aesthetic imperative will render the
ethical imperative intelligible, and
therefore that neither will solve Serres' problem.

 Let us consider first what kind of drive produces a work of
art. The aesthetic compulsion to create consists in excluding
competing aesthetic principles completely, and in totally filling
up aesthetic space. We could say that the aesthetic imperative
demands complete control over the internal aesthetic principles
of a work and the exclusion of any rival principles. Perhaps some
artists will find this imperative either too radical or not
radical enough; they may also feel that it does not describe
their artistic inspiration very well. Let me therefore propose
some examples: twelve-tone serial music, which was developed at
the beginning of this century by Schoenberg and others, does not
allow the aesthetic principles or rules of tonal music to
influence the composition at all. Indeed, the twelve-tone system
would literally not exist unless it systematically and completely
excluded the musical conventions of tonal music. In painting, the
Cubists with their focus on multiple perspectives broke radically
with existing conventions about the representation of space. And
in literature, the French chosiste novels of the post-war period
stuck to their own radical principles of writing, which would be
totally alien to, say, the
magical realism of Garcia Marquez.

Or let us take Serres' own example, mentioned in Le Tiers
Instruit but discussed at length in his book Genese: in Balzac's
short story The Unknown Masterpiece, the painter Frenhofer seeks
to create the ultimate painting of reality, taking as his subject
a female nude (12). When the painter dies, we finally get a
description of 'la belle noiseuse'; only a 'delicious' foot is
recognizable, emerging from a chaos of colors and forms. Serres
regards this chaotic depiction of reality as a vindication his
'philosophy of mixed bodies' seeking to describe the 'noise' of
the world. But more pertinently, this example stresses just how
uncompromising the self-imposed aesthetic principles of the painter are.

 The force of the aesthetic imperative, when it is powerful
enough not only to produce a work of art but to produce a
masterpiece which redefines art, lies in its compulsive desire to
exclude everything but its own principles. This does not
necessarily mean that the artist disregards or despises earlier
works of art and aesthetic currents, but rather that the
domination of a single, obsessive law and the exclusion of other
possibilities is necessary within the aesthetic context of the
creation of a particular work. In other words, the creative
impulse, in order to be productive, can never be democratic. The
principle of the single law applies to the aesthetic impetus
which constitutes the genesis of the work of art, and to the
maniacal determination to actualize a particular project. The
compulsive nature of thinking, in this sense, is akin to this
aesthetic compulsion. Thought pursues the object of thinking
relentlessly, with the same maniacal conviction, and perhaps with
the same ultimate goal as the aesthetic imperative, namely to
produce the beautiful. In scientific research, problems are
preferably solved by the most simple but also the most elegant
solution. The fact that an aesthetically beautiful solution is
considered superior shows the importance of exclusive aesthetic
principles and points to
the close connection between thinking and aesthetics (13).

 But, one may object, Serres does not want to stress the
similarity between the aesthetic drive and the unrestrained
desire for knowledge. Instead, he takes great care to insist that
the work of art is inimitable: that it cannot spawn a generation
of copies and therefore does not seek to expand its own
domination. Yet this is for all intents and purposes an
artificial definition; to be inimitable, in Serres' definition,
is to achieve such an exalted position that the work cannot be
copied. The inimitable work of art is prized out of this world.
While a work of art does not directly seek to be imitated, it
seeks to project and maintain the criteria and environment
necessary to judge it; these in turn allow it to be criticized,
copied or parodied. We judge a work of art in some sense by the
distance it takes from its most able copies; to some extent,
therefore, the possibility of aesthetic judgement of a work of
art rests on the
possibility of it being copied.

 Consequently, both aesthetic imperatives are a dead end for
Serres. The first, the aesthetic compulsion to create a work, is
in fact a direct counter-example to the notion of self-restraint.
More damagingly, it also provides a clear model for thinking
which maniacally strives after its own resolution, and even
scientific thought makes use of its stringent and exclusive
aesthetic principles. The second, the notion of the work of art
as an inimitable object, is controversial. If it is truly
inimitable, the work prizes itself out of the realm of aesthetic
judgement and comprehension; if, however, it is imitable at any
level, it cannot, on Serres' own account, be exemplary of self-
restraint and cannot support an ethical imperative.

 To conclude: I have analyzed Serres' appeal to self-restraint
in ethics, ecology, epistemology and aesthetics. I have shown
that the notion of self-restraint is important because it could
provide the basis for a radically new way of thinking, and point
beyond our conception of knowledge as domination and exclusion.
This knowledge has been referred to and hinted at in Serres'
earlier work, but only since his newfound interest in ecological
issues has it come to be identified with the law of unlimited
growth. Serres' notion of self-restraint does not present us with
an immediately intelligible imperative, as the face of the other
does in Levinas. Rather, he proposes that the ethical injunction
be based on the aesthetic principle of an inimitable work of art.
 I have shown, however, that neither the aesthetic compulsion to
create nor the concept of the inimitable can provide Serres with
a foundation for the ethical injunction to self-restraint. I also
note that the principles underlying aesthetic compulsion in fact
seem to prove the very opposite of Serres' point, namely that
thinking which is compelled to dominate is similar to the
compulsive development of an aesthetic credo. Until it can be
shown that self-restraint is either an inherently human
characteristic, or that it can be achieved by modelling our
behavior on some existing system of thought, we shall have to
enjoy the compulsive nature of our thinking and suffer its
consequences -a situation for which the world of art again
provides a fitting analogy.

Endnotes:
1. Michel Serres, Le Tiers Instruit (Paris: Francois Bourin,
1991). Henceforth cited as TI; all translations are my own.
2. Michel Serres, Hermes I - La communication (Paris: Minuit,
1969), Hermes II - L'interference (Paris: Minuit, 1972), Hermes
III - La traduction (Paris: Minuit, 1974), Hermes IV - La
distribution (Paris: Minuit, 1977), and Hermes V - Le passage du
Nord-Ouest (Paris: Minuit, 1980); a selection from these volumes
of collected papers has been translated as Hermes: Literature,
Science, Philosophy, trans. & eds. J.V.Harari and D.F.Bell
(Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 1982); Genese (Paris:
Grasset, 1982); Les Cinq Sens (Paris: Grasset, 1985); Statues
(Paris: Francois Bourin, 1987); Detachment, trans. Genevieve
James and Raymond Federman (Athens: Ohio University Press, 1989);
Le Contrat Naturel (Paris: Francois Bourin, 1990); Le Tiers
Instruit (Paris: Francois
Bourin, 1991); Atlas (Paris, Julliard 1994)..
3. Lecture on Le Tiers Instruit delivered at the Alliance Francaise
in Kyoto, Japan, on June 12, 1991.
4. Serres' latest book is a series of interviews with Bruno
Latour: Michel Serres, Eclaircissements (Paris: Francois Bourin, 1992).
5. The subtitle of Les Cinq Sens is "philosophy of mixed bodies,
volume I".  Serres has referred to a second volume in preparation.
6. Michel Serres, Les Cinq Sens, passim.
7. Friedrich Nietzsche, On the Genealogy of Morals, trans. Walter
Kaufmann and
R.J.Hollingdale, ed. Walter Kaufmann (New York: Vintage, 1967).
8. This introduction of a non-reversible element parallels the
introduction of non-reversible time in physics and chemistry, as
described by Ilya Prigogine and Isabelle Stengers in Order out of
Chaos (New York: Bantam Books, 1984). Prigogine and Stengers cite
Serres' work on thermodynamics repeatedly and wrote the
postscript to the English edition of the Hermes series, Hermes:
Literature,
Science, Philosophy.
9.Michel Serres, Rome (Paris: Grasset, 1983), p. 114; the translation
is my own.
10. Michel Serres, Detachment, trans. Genevieve James and Raymond
Federman, p.
48.
11. Ibid., p. 59.
12. Michel Serres, Genese; Honore de Balzac, The Unknown Masterpiece.
 .
13. See for example: Deane Curtin, ed., The Aesthetic Dimension
of Science (New York: Philosophical Library, 1982); Edward
Teller, The Pursuit of Simplicity
(Malibu: Pepperdine University Press, 1981).
.

source:
http://ccs.cla.kobe-u.ac.jp/Kihan/karim/serres.html