Terrence Kosick on 6 Feb 2001 04:58:26 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: [Genius2000Conference2000] psycho - babble

nmherman@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/4/2001 12:09:20 AM Central Standard Time,
> kosick@sprint.ca writes:
>
> > I don't get your point of personal attack either max.
>
> Kind of my point is that you can't criticize public institutions without
> criticizing the individuals who nominally run them in the name of truth
> freedom beauty etc.  David Ross is a culpable public manager, not a friendly
> guy bopping along.  Same with Bush.  There was nothing "personal" about my
> remarks about Ross.  I was speaking as a public citizen regarding public art
> policy.  If David Ross signs the decree, he's accountable.  It's lax on my
> part to criticize generalities and not specific acts that can be recorded,
> verified, assessed, etc.
>

> To me Ross is not a "person" with emotions and sensitivities and cute
> interesting touches.  He's a manager of an institution.  In fact, the whole
> "don't get personal" argument is frighteningly weak.  I reject it.  If I
> recall you got personal a few times regarding your being kicked off various
> lists.

Sure why wouldn't I object. Its free speech. And everyone except for a few
humourless lame ones knew it.  If you wern't so busy re-reading your own clever
jabs most of what was written was parody and I honestly thought what you were
doing at times was performance. ( I asked alex at rhizome about it but even he
wasn't sure) Even your attacks on Sherman and carry peppermint seemed so
overboard personal I thought it was a hilarious joke. I still do. It's a riot.
You have to be insanely jelous to go after your alumni. Although I now pretty
much think you might be a bonified lunatic so it may be excusable somehow, or
even, gee, max the inside joke. Ross the " non person" attests to that along
with several others. Maybe you should set it straight.  Make a coherent list
with out the psycho -babble so we know you're serious once and for all.

I plan to get personal with Jesse Ventura.

should we warn him? He probably has a guy with a -net - waiting for you.

> It's always called personal when someone gets busted.  That's bullshit.  Quit
> warning me anyway, what the fuck is that?
>
> As for accountable, Sherman won his laurels as convincing arts budget manager
> in the good old Canadian art world.  McLuhan wasn't able to rein in US
> expansion or its worser tendencies, and neither was Sherman.  In fact he
> makes a bad situation worse, though I admit he works in the US now.

maybe the pay is better of he's afraid of getting whacked. Did you here of the
art Prof. in Toronto. Someone beat him to death.

Everyone takes threats seriously now. I have never heard Cary or Sherman ever
respond to you on any list. Did anyone ever check the non-persons list while you
guys were at Syracuse?

> Like David Ross, Steve Dietz, Oliver North, and George Bush?  Now I'll settle
> for a minor art career somewhere.  No, Genius 2000 toothpaste, if ever sold,
> must be manufactured in accord with Green Economics and human peace.  It may
> cost $8 a tube but the kids whose parents make it are no longer human refuse.
>  They get opportunities like I got.  People who get in the way get
> embarrassed and publicly observed.  The old civil rights strategy was to make
> the bigots club you on TV.  Worked pretty good.  Gandhi too.
>
> But my point of view is unusual considering Reagan took over this nation when
> I was 11 years old and has spread depleted uranium all over ever since, and I
> make it my personal obligation as a resident of this country to bring him and
> Scalia to justice.  If that means destroying every art-managerial career in
> the economy I'll do it in a hot second.

you said it, this pretty much proves you're looped.

I have no doubt almost every institution has a board needs to be turned over
once a year. I think the administration staff include at least one carpet
salesman, one interior designer and one editor who has worked for the Manchester
Guardian and Elle. Also corporations and individuals who donate must remain
anonymous and tax free funds be transferred through an independent
organization.  ;-)

T.