cisler on 12 Feb 2001 02:48:22 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> [Fwd: Tilman Baumgaertel g>)]

> From: Hans Neuman <highnoon83@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 21:24:33 +0100
> To: nettime-l@bbs.thing.net
> Subject: <nettime> [Fwd: Tilman Baumgaertel <tilman_baumgaertel@csi.com> (by
> way of alex galloway <alex@rhizome.org>)]
>
> TB: You coined the term "information superhighway." Do you think that
> you got the right credit for it?
>
> NJP: Yes, I think I got enough credit. I used the term in a study I
> wrote for the Rockefeller Foundation in 1974.

There's an earlier reference to the term that I found. Ralph Smith, a
journalist and cable tv activist wrote about the concept of an electronic
highway in 1971 in The Nation , pre-dating NJP and adjunct professor Al
gore.

Citation
Smith, Ralph. The Wired Nation: Cable TV: The Electronic Communications
Highway. Harper & Row, 1972. p. 83.