Artemisia Gallery on 24 Feb 2001 02:09:27 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Artemisia March Press Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: MARCH EXHIBITION
Show Dates: March 1st  to March 31st
Opening Reception: March 2nd, 5-8 PM

SPECIAL EVENTS:
Sunday, March 4th 7PM:  JOHN SHIURBA FESTIVAL OF DUOS
John Shiurba is a guitarist and composer whose musical pursuits have included art-rock, open improvisation, and noise.  Shiurba has recorded and toured the USA and Europe with the bands Eskimo, the Molecules, and Spezza Rotto and as an improvisor.  Shiurba met Eric Leonardson, an electroacoustic composer, instrument inventor, and improviser; and composer and improvising vocalist Carol Genetti in 1999 while participating in the High Zero Festival of Experimental improvised Music in Baltimore.  Last April, Leonardson performed and recorded with Shiurba in Chicago. Here they are joined by several Chicago improvisers including: percussionist Jerome Bryerton, electronic improviser and intuitive ocusonist Andrea Polli, and oboist, electronic musician, improviser and composer Kyle Bruckmann in a series of duets. $6 cover.

Sunday March 25th, 3PM: MARTIN MAYES, ROBBIE HUNSINGER, AND SHENAI SONA
Martin Mayes started his career on the London experimental music scene of the 70s where he worked with improvised music and street theatre.  He has lived in Italy since 1982, where he has taken part in some of the more stimulating experiences on the Italian scene, such as Roberto Ottaviano's Six Mobiles, and the Italian Instabile Orchestra, described as having given  "The most memorable set at the Chicago Jazz Festival" in September 2000.  He has presented solo performances in festivals such as Clusone (Italy); Le Mans (France), and Next Horn Wave (New York), Bath  (England), and Vancouver (Canada).  Martin Mayes on French Horn and invented instruments; Robbie Hunsinger on Oboes, Shenai Sona, on single reeds and invented instruments.  This concert featuring acoustic improvised music will use the various acoustic spaces of Artemisia.  Performers and audience will roam the space to tailor the acoustic experience.  $6 cover.  For more information visit http://www.enteract.com/~robbie

EXHIBITIONS:
Main Gallery:   FEMINISM: A WORLD POWER, THE FACES OF FEMINISM
Chicago is the site for the 2001 National Women's Caucus for Art Conference, Feminism, a World Power, in conjunction with the College Art Association Conference.   Artemisia hosts The Faces of Feminism, an exhibition reflecting the diverse perspectives of women artists and arts professionals working in any genre curated by Marji Vecchio, Ingrid Fassbender, Ellen Lanyon.  This exhibition and the conference as a whole intends to move past self-definition to explore ways of working together to build new models for a creative and just world.

Galleries A, B, and C:  SIZE MATTERS
"One enters the miniature world alone, stripped of context and willing to plunge into a space removed from the everyday.  Within that condensed and detailed realm, time is compressed....Pumpkins become carriages, mice become horses, and the tiny world of toys is both amusing and intense with psychological intent."  Excerpt from the Size Matters catalog essay by Susan Sensemann.

In our contemporary world, nanotechnology, science fiction in the past, has become science fact; and bigger is not always better.  Artemisia's member artists look at the crack in the teacup, the gap between heartbeats, and other revelations in miniature.

Gallery D:   JUDI STRAHOTA   -   LETTING GO OF SOME THINGS
Associate member Judi Strahota's over-sized wooden forms embrace domestic space while manipulating scale and perspective. The show's title "Letting Go of Some Things", references an internal process that Strahota has been consciously employing in and out of her studio since her recent relocation for an appointment as sculpture faculty at Alfred University.

The finely crafted 36" lathe-turned clothespins, 12' carved wooden plunger, and 32" drain plug result directly from
her response to new materials and the challenge of new techniques.  Working in installation format allows her to skew relationships between space, materials, and concepts - and to explore psychological queries and self-examination.

 "My installations and assemblages predominantly utilize found objects together with fabricated components and/or affected spaces.  Fragments, memory, and domestic history tangential to my past are significant catalysts. Fragments, Self-examination, domestic reference, every day domestic space, Scale, Domestic iconography, and the crafting of large lumber continually challenge my use of space, methods, skills, and materials.  With all of this I find avenues to my psyche. I believe the foundation of my art making lies in the combined strength of my building skills and powerful intuitive response. "

*Gallery web site address http://www.artemisia.org
For additional information and press packets, call the gallery at (312) 226-7323