ricardo dominguez on 27 Feb 2001 18:00:08 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Autonogram 5: 16 Ounces of Grass only $20!

Greetings one and all --

Here's your occasional book report and general update from your
hard(ly)-at-work comrades at Autonomedia. In this email, you'll find
new book listings, price breaks on our calendars, new features to the
Autonomedia web site, and updates on books-in-progress. For list
removals, please check the note at the end of the email.

* * * * *

"Grass: the Paged Experience"  accompanies "Grass, the Movie," the
2000 award-winning documentary film by Ron Mann. Through vast
archival imagery, new graphics by Paul Mavrides, and Mann's text, the
book navigates through the history of marijuana prohibition in the
US, focussing both on the legislative and extra-legal machinations
developed and also on the popular media manipulations employed to
legitimize these restrictions.

The book also includes essays by critic Jonathan Rosenbaum on pot and
film, Dr. John Morgan on pot and music, and Keith Stroup of NORML on
the past and present politics of pot, and is introduced by
actor/activist Woody Harrelson. The book is in full color (even the
text pages!), and reproduces the feeling of the film quite well. If
you saw the film and wanted to see it again, or more likely, if you
enjoy marijuana but wonder why the film never made it to your local
corporate moviehouse, you're sure to enjoy this wonderful book.

http://www.autonomedia.org/grass is our web page featuring the book.
http://www.grassthemovie.com is a Flash-heavy site promoting the film.

* * * * *

Voyeurism, edited by Kathy High and Maria Venuto with guest editors
Lisa Steele + Kim Tomczak and Nayan Shaw, is the latest issue of
FELIX: A Journal of Media Arts & Communications, distributed by
Autonomedia. VOYEURISM includes articles, interviews, and artist
pages by over 60 different artists from the U.S. and Canada, and
explores the complex nature of the topics of voyeurism, surveillance,
and the pleasures and risks of watching. 336 pages, 7.5x10.5 inches
paperback, $15. You can find this and other issues of FELIX on our
website by following the links in the bookstore to Autonomedia
Distribution.

* * * * *

If you still need a calendar for 2001, our Saints and Sheroes are
still available, and we've cut the price to $4 each, no limit. If you
don't know the calendars, check the web site or email me for details:
ben@autonomedia.org

* * * * *

If you haven't checked http://www.autonomedia.org in a while, have a
look soon. We've added an interactive calendar of local events, and
our message board has had lots of activity on such topics as DIY
media, Pacifica and WBAI, political origins of the Black Block, and
the continuing Zapatista struggle. Additionally, the radical linkbank
contains nearly 1500 links to global autonomous movement in all its
facets, organized both geographically and by topic. For all of these
features, click on the various picture icons on the left side of our
home page.

* * * * *

Among our spring releases are the following show-stoppers:

"LAB U.S.A." by Kevin Pyle, a 160pp. graphic investigation into the
history of government and commercial medical research on
disenfranchised subjects, particularly prisoners and low-income
populations. Due out in April.

"I'm Still Thinking" by Miro Stefanovic, a 192pp. collection of
political cartoons by this dissident Serbian cartoonist.

"Hacktivism," edited by the Electronic Disturbance Theater, an
insider's history of electronic civil disobedience by the
perpetrators of various FLOODNET actions.

"Digital Resistance" by the Critical Arts Ensemble. Essays on
tactical resistance in the digital realm from the collective authors
of "Electronic Disturbance," "Electronic Civil Disobedience," and
"Flesh Machine."

"Auroras of the Zapatistas: Local and Global Struggles of the Fourth
World War," by the Midnight Notes Collective. This book looks both at
Mexico's Zapatista revolution directly, and at its enlightening and
heating effects on the new social struggles elsewhere against the
latest forms of capitalism, neo-liberalism and globalization.

* * * * *