Nigel Kersten on 27 Mar 2001 00:47:23 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: <nettime> apple -os x -the big brother?

This is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard.

Mac OS X is a unix. Traditionally you are strongly discouraged from using a
root account for day to day operations. You should only execute commands as
a superuser if it is really necessary. There are several ways you can do
this.

Run a single command as the superuser. type 'sudo <commandname>'

Enable the root account the *nix way. type 'sudo passwd root'

Enable the root account the Mac way.

Open NetInfoManager
Go to the Domain menu,
Then open the 'Security' option, and select 'Enable root user'
Then you can always 'su' to root by simply entering 'su'.

try reading some documentation next time before you overreact...

nigel

nigel@4trak.net