Nicholas Hermann on 30 Mar 2001 19:55:31 -0000

[Nettime-bold] Re: [Genius2000Conference2000] I don't think this is ironic atall

>>> baseekins@netscape.net 03/30/01 01:15PM >>>
[Re:  Cary Peppermint's email, 1996-2000]
Jesus, Max, these posts are like watching somebody play fucking dress
up. His work isn't "meant to entertain"!?! What the fuck. The academy
gave him a place outside of the capitalist system? Good god, didn't he
go to the same academy I did?

++snip
I know it's a difficult situation.  Eryk pulled the creditor card on me
but thank god I've got a sweet green $100 check in my pocket just
waiting for a stamp.  (I borrowed it--the check, not the stamp.)

I'm just being a loudmouth however.  I call it "cleaning house."  When
I don't have any great ideas of my own I talk about the corrupt academy.

Topic for discussion:  Would it be inappropriate for Eryk and I to
debate the merit of Cary's artwork?  I won't insist but hell if I'm
wrong and just envious of the success of others I'd like to know.
Frankly I feel consciously much more successful in real terms (1984
dollars) than Cary.  I wouldn't trade places for a hundred million
pounds.  I just think he's the epitome of a corrupt, foetid system but
he acts like he's not, so I don't like that.

Another topic/exercise could be for Eryk to argue that an artist I like
(and he doesn't) is bad, et cetera, and I think I know who he might
choose...nn.

But maybe I'm just testy and misanthropic this week.  I've been
meditating and planning which makes me jittery and impulsive.  I'll
offer this fun trivia question by way of parley:

In the 1950's, author and novelist Norman Mailer hand-copied his
then-favorite novel by hand.  What novel did he transcribe?

++

Here's some song lyrics my friend Bryan Qualy from the video wrote last
month: