nettime's_roving_reporter on 3 Apr 2001 08:44:06 -0000

[Nettime-bold] <nettime> "Imagine the Internet without Excite, Yahoo! or Amazon.com."

<http://www.iconocast.com/crusade/index.html>

     Apr. 2, 2001

     Dear Netizen:

     Your help is needed.

     Fueled by a "viral lack of confidence," the Internet economy has
     slipped into a recession. If this trend continues, you might soon lose
     access to your favorite online store, greeting card site, news source,
     music site or financial chat group. Imagine the Internet without
     Excite, Yahoo! or Amazon.com.

     But you can help the Net regain its respect. We must band together and
     send the world a loud, clear message that the Net will not only
     survive, but thrive.

     That's why we're asking you to demonstrate your dedication to the
     Internet. On April 3, join us in "Back the Net Day":

     Donate Online. Make a real difference by visiting a site like
     iGive.com.

     Support the Internet Economy. On April 3, visit your favorite online
     store(s) and make at least one purchase. Or buy 10 shares in a company
     you admire.

     Spread the Word Online. On April 2-3, visit Blue Mountain and send a
     Back the Net card to your friends or family. You can also make an
     optional online donation to the charity of your choice when you send
     your card.

     The Internet is very young. Some mistakes have been made. But this
     budding industry still needs your support. Your participation will
     send a signal to Wall Street that Netizens will not abandon their
     favorite medium.

     Please forward this letter to 10 other people, or as many as you can,
     and join our crusade to Back the Net!

     Sincerely,

     Michael H. Tchong
     Editor & CEO
     ICONOCAST Inc.

     P.S. We even have a "Back the Net" anthem: Operatica's "Get Off My Land."
     Courtesy of E-Magine Entertainment.