Armin Medosch on 4 Apr 2001 17:46:24 -0000

[Nettime-bold] invitation/private view +++ shopping windows

Shopping Windows, Part I

Shopping Windows I is the first part of a two part ongoing online
exhibition with works newly commissioned by Telepolis. In part 1
the following works are presented (alphabetically):

* Giselle Beiguelman - <Content=No Cache>
* Matthew Fuller - BallPool
* Harwood/Scotoma.org - Waste_Words Their Weight &
Frequency in London's Municipial Rubbish

Shopping Windows index page (English)
http://www.heise.de/tp/english/kunst/nk/shopping/default.html

Shopping Windows index page (German)
http://www.heise.de/tp/deutsch/kunst/nk/shopping/default.html

Shopping Windows - Net art after e-commerce

'Net art after the age of e-commerce and the death of net art' should be
the full subtitle of the exhibition 'Shopping Windows' which follows the
intertwining pathways of art on the Internet and the arrival and death of
e-commerce as we knew it. 2000 will be remembered as the year when the
I-Bubble burst. For others, disillisionment about the net started a while
earlier ago represented by manifestos and other declarations about 'The
End of Net Art'. Both, in the artistic and commercial realm we can only
look forward while still doing some damage assessment. We hope that
what can be seen as the end of an era has also cleared the air and gives
us the chance for a fresh start in 2001. The good old dialectic of
deconstruction and rebuild allows us to embrace irony in view of near
disaster and thereby stay optimistic.

Excerpt of curatorial statement. Full text:
http://www.heise.de/tp/english/kunst/nk/shopping/about.html

Curated by: Armin Medosch

Giselle Beiguelman - <Content=No Cache>
giselle@desvirtual.com

<Content=No Cache> is about the loss of inscription. It talks
about error messages.
Its point of departure is a curious tag, "content = no cache".
Placed in
the html code it updates the contents of any on line page, erasing
what
was written before. It announces a new condition of writing.