Content-Wire.com on 9 Apr 2001 13:17:42 -0000

[Nettime-bold] <nettime> Lorenzo Taiuti (Italy): Restrictive law on news online

Dear Nettimers
Thanks for the opportunity to bring this up
It's urgent and important

I have been a journalist for many years, freelancing

I joined the Italian journalists guild in 1991, and have been given
a lot of bullshit by every single newspaper director to date

I am very sick of what I have seen so far.

They refuse to give work to journalists who work for the truth, and not
for the system

They try to drive you down, and even if you run away, very far and
start working for newspapers in the northpole, they will manage to find you
and get your new editors to turn your work down with implausible excuses.

They will follow you everywhere, and destroy everything you start just to
prove
that what you do is not sustainable and what you say is not worth
spreading.

Ho do they do that?  Some masonic associations are undoubtably benevolent,
but in their ranks hide powerful clusters, some of these have links with
criminal organisations

Lorenzo, ask procuratore Cordoba, he has studied the binomial -
institutional crime and
secret societies - I would like to add another factor: control over the
information systems is key to maintain that
structure.

For example, I have nothing personal against Mr Berlusconi, but as an
individual with vested
interestes in the economy, who controls majority of private meida in teh
country and has pending judgements for
money landering and mafia connections , he is obviously not suitable for
parliamet

But he seems to be favoured by the polls and set to win next cabinet
elections on May 13.

Why? Because the press does not work to expose what is wrong in the system,
but to cover it. Cover it possibly with niceties like sex and plenty
entertaintment

Hurryyyy!!!

I am a first person  witness and ready to move a j'accuse to the italian
press
for being a near delinquent organisation
We have published a brief comment, a couple of links to
the only two voices that I know of - below

Lorenzo, do something, will you?

What can be done: European Court of Justice
We must hope the justice system works

Lorenzo. I am very busy these days, let me know if I can help

Below an article we posted earlier this year

==================================
Paola Di Maio
Managing  Editor
www.content-wire.com

=================================

Information Mafia Spreads to the Web
London 5 March 2001

After a year of parliamentary discussion, the Italian Senate
(www.senato.it) last 21 February approved a new amendment to the law that
regulates publishing in Italy, Law Nr 4985.

The disposition makes new provisions for more public funding to encourage
and support technological innovation and new initiatives in the sector, and
it now includes in the definition of ’editorial products’ also online
publications.

The amendment, that has been unanimously approved by all major industrial
federations including Fieg, the publishers association, and by the
journalists' union, has been very disappointing for those who are aware of
the control over public information in Italy, and are placing all of their
hopes for change on the new media sector.

Kill them before they grow

Editorial products in Italy are subject to quite a tight regulatory
environment.

In order to write for the press, journalists need to be vetted officially
for two years by other journalists employed by officially recognized
titles. The only way for the younglings to be ‘validated’, is to swear to
the code of silence and acceptance that will allow them a long and safe
career.

Otherwise ‘Their writing is no good’ and 'It takes too much work to edit
their articles, we do not have that kind of time these days'.

And nobody will ever question whether that's a fact or fabrication. Nobody
questions the system, or they are out as well.

The role of the unions is to protect those who 'are in'. Those who are not
in the union, or not 'legitimately' in the profession, cannot be defended
by the laws that regulate work relations.

The control exercised by these routines ensures that very little free and
controversial thinking goes into the press.

The careers of journous who question the system, do not play the game, and
denounce the symptoms of corruption that they may come across, are actually
terminated before they start making waves.

The Italian press industry, it must be noted, is plagued by complex links
within secret societies, which have increasingly powerful extensions
abroad. But of course these are hard to prove.

When questioned about it, a few journalists say that's not true. Some admit
it's quite possible. Most do not say anything at all.

That’s how the Italian ‘information mafia’ is spreading abroad, with
powerful influences on major titles in foreign press. This system is said
to be set up to control and manipulate the information and the public
opinion that depends on it.

The process is now extended to online information thanks to the latest
measures.

Very little or no public debate about the new regulations has been extended
to the Italian media, despite huge controversy within those actors in the
profession who are bothered by the system.

The controversy has not been picked up by any foreign press.

Understanding the Context

A quick look at the website of the Italian Association for Electronic Press
(anee.it)
reveals the status of the industry: there is nothing there. And that's
serious.

Peacelink, a non-profit organization is currently collecting adhesions to
call for a revision of the normative, and an active discussion is taking
place on their website.
(www.peacelink.it/censura/english.htm)

Manlio Cammarata, in an article published last week, asks himself “Online
Media, No other choice than shutting down".
(www.interlex.com/tlc/stampa.htm)

It will take a lot of digging to understand the implications, and who knows
what will come out of the Italian media closet.

Perhaps some skeletons that we thought were buried in concrete somewhere..

Content-wire.com