Josephine Bosma on 10 Apr 2001 09:09:16 -0000

Re: [Nettime-bold] Re: questions (fwd)

As at the bottom of this mail it shows this Martinez is another of Eryk
Salvaggio's ways to get attention (another one is attacking people as
Meiko and Ryu of course) I will only reply to the most poignant mistakes
in this mail. Not for Brad or Eryk, but for others that might be even
remotely attracted to their basic instinct thinking.

> That's an unfair assessment. The interview just takes place in
> real time on the net; it is "open source," as you all like to
> say.

private email is not open source.

> If artists followed Brad's instincts the art world would come
> to a screeching halt. There would be no more interviews or
> museums or galleries or analysis, there would only be art.

This is a big mistake, and it is the strongest clichee that remained of
the old avantgarde. The idea that art should become one with everyday
life and everything will then be ok is naive to say the least.

> Brad was not shutting you out, in my opinion. He was merely
> opening the windows so the rest of us could see in. And now,
> it has made it impossible for you to treat him in a normal way.

It is not normal to force someone into a position. I have never done
that. Eryk Salvagio and Brad Brace have. They help create the walls we
all try to move.

For trust and understanding.

*