Nmherman on Sun, 22 Apr 2001 23:35:29 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] =?UTF-8?Q?Fwd:=20[Genius2000Conference2000]=2000101001010111.org?==?UTF-8?Q?:=20=C3=83=E2=80=9A=C3=82=C2=A0the=20Best=20of=20the=20=C3=82?==?UTF-8?Q?=C2=A0Net?=

Subj:    Re: [Genius2000Conference2000] 00101001010111.org:  the Best of
the  Net
Date:   4/22/2001 9:07:01 AM Central Daylight Time
From:   baseekins@netscape.net
To: Genius2000Conference2000@yahoogroups.com

 (If we concede that Coupland's art is
> in some way imagistic and able to elicit direct feeling through fiction
where
> Frank's non-fiction perhaps cannot.)

I started reading Frank while I was still in Graduate school, and I refuse to
posit him as some dry alternative to Coupland or other novelists. He writes
sharp, emotionally engaging prose. He is much more entertaining than most
novelists and poets--reading his work isn't like taking a vitamin pill or
something. He can write imagistic prose--in fact, at his strongest he tends
to write closer to first person essay than to third person criticism.

His use of "Under God" is ignored in certain quarters for the same reason
Genius2000 is ignored in certain quarters. Nobody likes to hear it suggested
that they are anything less than 100%, autonomous free agents. They like
Franks witty, cutting criticisms of pop culture--after all, we all are
smarter enough to make fun of Sprite and Levi commercials, but they don't
want to be interested in the way those commercials are part of a metaphysics
of branding that we all participate in, whether we want to chose to or not.
In the circles where Frank is actually read with seriousness, and not as a
kind of hot and tasty philosopher of the month, the "under god" part is not
ignored. I think as Genius2000 starts to become increasingly active as
location of resistance against the suicidal and homicidal global economy,
there will be no lack of audience for it.