david sinden on Tue, 1 May 2001 12:45:00 +0200 (CEST)

[Nettime-bold] FIELD 27: BLAST THEORY - DESERT RAIN [pR]

FIELD 27:  BLAST THEORY - DESERT RAIN

An evening of contemporary digital art, discussion and debate.

    Wednesday 2 May 2001 8pm
    Sussex Arts Club, 7 Ship Street, Brighton
    Free entrance

In a world where war images echo Hollywood images, Desert Rain looked
for the line between real and fictional, using a combination of
virtual reality, installation and performance.  Six team members are
sent on an adventure into a virtual world. They have 30 minutes to
find the target and complete their mission, finding that others may
have a very different idea of what actually happened out there. . .

This unique gaming project confronts the media saturated world in
which popular culture rules.   Desert Rain was a collaboration
between the Computer Research Group at Nottingham University and
Blast Theory, a London based group of four artists who create live
events for theatres, clubs, galleries and the street.  Matt Adams
from Blast Theory will present work from Desert Rain at FIELD 27.

"It's a powerful piece and it excites curious emotions in the viewers
who are able to take part in the game. As a company, Blast Theory,
seems finally to offer Britain a theatre group that delves into our
popular culture to create deeply challenging work."
THE SUNDAY TIMES

    [ apologies if you receive this posting more then once ]

--

F I E L D ... F I E L D ... F I E L D ... F I E L D ... F I E L D ...
F I E L D ... F I E L D ... F I E L D

Upcoming FIELD events include...  squid s o u p . testcard . Scott
deLahunta . Simon Poulter . Foreign Logics . The Dreamer

FIELD is co-programmed by Lighthouse and BN1.

<http://www.bn1.co.uk/field>     <http://www.lighthouse.org.uk>

For further information please contact David Sinden at Lighthouse on
01273 384222 or david@lighthouse.org.uk